Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt - cap on or cap off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt - cap on or cap off?

Mr. Meathead and distinguished pitmaster club members. Your thoughts on cap on (cook fat cap side down to protect the meat and create a "canoe" to hold the juices) or cap off - create another bark opportunity?

Welcome TTB! We're glad you're here.

Cap off. End of story. No other way to do it. You get more bark and you don't have to mess with a slab of fat cap when you're pulling.

Comment

I do it different than Pit Boss I leave the fat cap on and cook with it down to protect the meat. I have try it by removing the fat cap but some of meat stuck to the grate so now the only thing that sticks to the grate is the fat cap. And yes I spray the grate with Pam also rub the grate with olive oil.

Comment

Welcome Aboard Three Ten BBQ

Comment

Fat cap off. There is plenty of fat that will still render out. This way you get more bark AND smokey goodness. The smoke won't penetrate the cap and get to the meat.

Comment

The beauty of The Pit is the variety of perspectives an rationale behind them. I too remove the fat cap entirely, in fact I go one step further and get quite aggressive when I prep a pb. I will actually hack into the main butt after I remove the cap, and hack out all the thick wads of fat as far as I can realistically get in with the knife. Sometimes, but not always, this will actually separate the muscles, if so no big deal I just plop them back together on the smoker. There's so much internal fat on a pb that I like to remove all I can pre-cook.

Comment

Cap off -- get you some Frog Mats to stop that stickage problem! I love being able to move those mats around with my bare hands.

Comment

I agree with others, fat cap off. No need to protect the meat when running low n' slow. Also, as you state, this allows for more bark.

Comment

Another off vote here, got 2 on now just thinking about that extra side of bark.

Comment

Cap Off. 100% - there is plenty of internal fat and connective tissue.

Comment

I going to remove the fat cap the next time which won't be long. I do have those frog mat things that I have never use. But I have one question myself. I have watch all of those BBQ shows on T.V. and I notice most of the pros leave the fat cap on...WHY?
                      Last edited by DWCowles; July 17, 2015, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                        richinlbrg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        DWCowles , agreed, if it ain't broke.....
                        Question for you, why will you not cut in half, any particular reason?

• DWCowles
                        DWCowles commented
                        Editing a comment
                        richinlbrg yes I do have a reason. To much work for this lazy old man and I like just keeping it simple. Plus my opinion is if you keep it whole you will have more moisture.

• richinlbrg
                        richinlbrg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Gotcha, DWCowles! Thank you!

And if it ain't broke.......

I trim off as much as I can without getting too crazy about it.....for the same reasons others have listed. More bark, etc.

Comment

Trim the fat cap off, carefully, then grill it and eat it.. Oh wait did I say that out loud again? Don't tell my doc

Comment

I remove the fat cap. Also if the Boston Butt is over 8lbs I cut in half. I used to wrap mine at around 175* F then finish till 205 but here lately I stopped wrapping. I love the better bark. There is plenty fat.

Comment

Fast cap off. I don't wrap until the temperature reaches 200°, and then I put it in an ice chest surrounded by old towels until I am ready to serve. It will say plenty hot for three hours.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            Rubs Promo
                            Meat-Up in Memphis