Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reaching proper temp and maintaining it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reaching proper temp and maintaining it

I have a cos that I have made mods to and need a little help in getting to proper temp and maintaining it.

Tell us more about your COS and the mods.

Comment

yes yes..more.. more information..... if all else fails though, buy a temperature controller.

Comment

It's a 16x36 with a 16 x 16 firebox. I installed a cast iron burner in the bottom of the box. I had a tray made that sets above the burner at door level where I put the lit coals and some wood chips. I thought I would begin the smoke with charcoal and chips then add heat from the gas later. The first try I lit the charcoal added two pieces of wood and the temp went over 350. I have no lit the gas burner yet.
        Mike

Comment

Are you closing your vents/dampers to try and bring the temp down?

Comment

It did not help the wood was on fire and temp was to high. I opened the firebox lid an let it burn out. I should mention I put 600 degree silicone caulk on the firebox and it was starting to melt.

Comment

I have only charcoal and some chips on now and can only get to around 200 degrees with both vents fully open

Comment

I would like to say that the tray I had built sets above the opening to the main chamber.

Comment

how are you adjusting the vents? do you have a lot of leaks? and how much fuel are you burning.

Comment

dont mean to interupt but... if you google Offset Smoker Fire Management and look for youtube vids there is a BUNCH of stuff out there....

​Also... Huskee has a great writeup around here somewhere on Fire Management for stick burners... I cant find it so cant post the link... sorry

Comment

Do you think the tray I had built is to large? It covers most of the space at lid level and sets above the opening to the cooking chamber.
                      Vents are wide open. A90% full chimney. Leaking is very slight due to high temp caulk.
                      Does anyone have a burner in the fire box and how do you use yours?

Comment

Can you post some pics?

Comment

I will try.

Comment

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            Rubs Promo
                            Meat-Up in Memphis