Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I found pork butts!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found pork butts!!

It just arrived today...it's in the fridge defrosting right now...I found a Taobao seller that stocked it...an honest-to-God, made in Iowa, for export only, Good Nature® brand, PORK BUTT. I'm not going to even say what a pain in the butt it was to find the correct Chinese word for pork butt. The word doesn't exist in their language because they butcher the pigs differently so there is no such cut. But I found the right term to search for and bam, a single seller popped up in the Taobao search results. For the record, the term is 梅花肉, literally plum blossom meat, and it is considered a cut of venison rather than pork. 3.6 pounds for $33.33 including delivery fee, or $9.26/lb.

Now I just have to rack my brains for a side dish. When they say macaroni and cheese goes with pulled pork, do they mean Kraft mac'n'cheese that comes in the box? They have it at the import section at the grocery store, it's $5/box, but I can get it. I can always make potato salad but my guests have had that before. Ohh...Ranch Style Beans for sure, that's easy and they have that on Taobao.

I'm going to do my first real slow cook on my Weber knockoff this weekend and am really looking forward to it. People around here are getting bored with my burgers, kebabs, and chicken and I need a new trick. Pulled pork should do it. I'm going to make it together with Lady Bird Johnson's recipe for barbecue sauce and serve it with hamburger buns and onions. I'm just so happy! In the middle of summer, no less, prime BBQ season.

Click image for larger version

Name:	QQ Photo20150716201105.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	97113
    Last edited by Lost in China; July 16, 2015, 06:38 AM.

You spent $10 a pound for pork butt, and you're thinking boxed mac and cheese?

DUDE!

Go to the recipes tab on this site, side dishes, and make it yourself. While your there you will likely find some ides for other sides.

Comment

• Lost in China
      Lost in China commented
      Editing a comment
      Well...with those recipes there's always some dang ingredient that I can't get. It just takes one and then I can't make it. Now that I look, the macaroni and cheese on this site doesn't look too complicated, that and the beans will probably do it.

• Usernamevalid
      Usernamevalid commented
      Editing a comment
      Wing it!

What he said. Glad you found it, I'd hate to see what beef costs...
    Which meats are low cost there? Chicken I would assume, and duck maybe? Are there any cuts they know about that we don't?

Comment

• Lost in China
      Lost in China commented
      Editing a comment
      Pork is cheap...just not the cuts we're used to. Duck is plentiful, but I never cook it at home because I can easily get it outside, and cooked much much better than I ever could. Chicken is chicken, I think it's cheap worldwide. There isn't a good selection of beef at all. I have no idea what they do with the good cuts of beef, but all there is at the store is junk only suitable for stir-fry. Seriously, I really want to know where the rest of the cow goes. It sure ain't exported, nobody with any choice would buy Chinese beef. You can get a good quality steak from Australia, but since you're paying for the (refrigerated) transportation and the import tax, the price is high.
      Last edited by Lost in China; July 16, 2015, 07:26 AM.

If you can find a decent cheddar cheese over there, make yourself some baked mac and cheese to go with it. That's a quality side.

Personally I like Alton Brown's recipe but I cut back a bit on the mustard (personal preference) and use a little bit less onion.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...se-recipe.html

Comment

coleslaw coleslaw coleslaw ya need coleslaw!

Comment

• jholmgren
        jholmgren commented
        Editing a comment
        Although personally not a coleslaw fan... I think smarkley nailed it. Coleslaw gets my vote - seems like a quintessential BBQ side along with beans.

• Lost in China
        Lost in China commented
        Editing a comment
        Sweet-Sour Slaw calls for mustard powder and celery seeds. Can't make it. The Simple Creamy Southern Coleslaw with Mayonnaise also calls for celery seeds. This is what usually happens with most of the amazing-sounding recipes on this site. I can put these ingredients on my list to pick up the next time I'm in the States, but I only go back twice a year.

Pulled Pork dinner =

Mac and Cheese
      Slaw
      Beans
      Corn on the Cob, if available.
      'tater salad

Comment

wow, talk about stress of getting the cook right. i hope everything goes your way!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis