Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Another legend passes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jared49
    commented on 's reply
    Simply classic!

• TripleB
    commented on 's reply
    My brother, sister and myself were huddled together 3 feet away from the parent's TV watching that last inning. Squeezing hands, ohhing and ahhing over every pitch. Unbelievable.

• Spinaker
    replied
    They don't make them like that anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Johnston
    replied
    Not too many characters like Tommy left anymore. May he rest in peace.

Leave a comment:

• ComfortablyNumb
    commented on 's reply
    It is indeed, I enjoy it every time I see it. Thanks for posting.

• jfmorris
    replied
    When I was in college, I had the privilege to sing the national anthem with a group at Wrigley field for a Cubs-Dodgers game in the summer of 1984. I sat right behind the backstop, and got to hear Tommy Lasorda yell at players and umpires for the entire game. It was an experience I've never forgotten. He was quite a character, and it is sad to see him pass.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    One of the most memorable moments in sporting history.....

Leave a comment:

• surfdog
    replied
    I met him once a long time ago at a restaurant. He was a character...and a true ambassador for the sport & the city.

Leave a comment:

• kenrobin
    replied
    I'm a lifelong Giants fan but I appreciated Lasorda as an ambassador for the game. Baseball was a lot of fun whenever he was involved.

Leave a comment:

• TripleB
    replied
    I'm a native Californian. Living in Los Angeles 59 of my 62 years. Lasorda was bigger than life. I saw him a couple of times at Dodger stadium. Never met him, but I saw that he was always cordial to the fans and would sign an autograph if asked. Today's LA Times has a huge article on him. I know that he was a motivational speaker, but he never charged schools, churches or the military. And he spoke at a lot of those.

One of my favorite stories today was when former player and MLB manager Bobby Valentine played on one of Lasorda's minor league teams in the late 1960's, "he had us write letters to the big league player that was playing their position", Valentine told MLB Network, "to tell them to get ready to move over because we were on our way". Classic.

RIP Tommy

Leave a comment:

• Soonerpop
    replied
    I’ve always been a Dodger fan thanks to growing up in a town with a Dodger class D farm team during the heyday of the minor leagues. Tommy was one of a kind for sure. He came to Arlington in ‘19 for the retirement ceremony for Adrian Beltrè. Although he had a hard time getting around, he was gracious, told stories and had the crowd rolling. Rest In Peace, Tommy.

Leave a comment:

• TripleB
    commented on 's reply
    Ah, the Big Red Machine. Morgan, Bench, Rose, Foster, Geronimo, Griffy... Remember seating by the radio listening to those Dodger/Red games. Great memories and a great rivalry.

• smokin fool
    replied
    Sad news his passing.

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    Close.

• FireMan
    commented on 's reply
    When Gibbie hit that homer, I was 38, on the road workin & in a motel in Anderson IN. Will never forget step by step collage the following day with Kirk Gibson/Roy Hobbs narrated by Bob Costas.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Meat-Up in Memphis