Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixing an old grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing an old grill

I have an old charcoal grill that is 22" X 22". The grill part is solid, just needs cleaned up and repainted. The legs are shot. Is there a way to replace the legs or are there plans to build a small base out of wood or any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to pitch it and I would like to keep it for a small grill when I don't need to use the big one.
    Last edited by mackdaddy; July 15, 2015, 03:39 PM.

Picture worth a thousand words. What do the legs look like now? What do the mounts look like? What is 'shot' about the legs? Are they rusted? Bent? Broken? Are they aluminum? Steel?

I could likely give you some ideas if I could see what the issue is.

Comment

I will post a pic tomaro. The legs are wobbly and rusty, but not sure if rusted through.

Comment

Here are the pics. The legs are wobbly and can't be tightened. there is a bolt and nut on the inside of the grill.

Comment

You can buy that grill in Walmart, Target, Lowes, etc for about $30. It might not be worth fixing if parts are more than $10 or so.

Comment

• mackdaddy
            mackdaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            yea, that's true. I just want a smallish grill to do small grilling/smoking on when I don't have to use my big one all the time. I think I just might do that.

I use a Weber Smokey Joe, it's smaller, cheaper, and uses less charcoal. It makes a great "side burner"!

Comment

• mackdaddy
            mackdaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            love your setup there. I'm gong to fix it as a project for fun. If it works great if not no biggy. Is there any place I can get replacement legs? the web sites I saw do not have legs for replacement parts.

Do you know the brand?

Comment

No, it is an off brand. I think from Walmart or K-Mart.

Comment

This looks like a fun project MD. You could add a few cross braces using the existing holes to stabilize it. I'm pretty sure this style grill has threaded tops to the legs so they bolt thru the grill body. You can find a size of emt conduit that might slide over the existing legs if there rusted out. Once you bolt on the cross braces on the will hold those in place. As others have said. It may not be economical to fix but its sound like a fun project for sure. I'd save that thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_11202.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	97588
              Last edited by Jon Solberg; July 18, 2015, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis