Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7 Dirty Truths About BBQ (that nobody wants to talk about)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought provoking, to say the least. I don't know much about any of this. I think some of it is accurate, and some of it I have a problem with. But it is worth discussing, IMO.

BBQ scholar Robb Walsh explains how we've been blinded by an ignorant cloud of smoke.

I can almost get a 50% yield on the 10 pound and under briskets, and I trim a lot of fat pre-cook.

Once you get to 12-13 pounds and up, it will easily come down to 40%. Store bought Select and Choice.

Comment

Interesting, yet somewhat angry and biased article at the same time. The comments about "white hipster males", and that whole section is silly. The reason the majority of the cooks and restaurant owners in bbq are as popular as they are, success in competitions, accolades, advertising, financial success, etc. And I also think there are a few tv and internet shows that do a great job of mentioning some of the smaller, lessor known establishments, especially in the South.

I do agree that brisket cuts have become thinner, most noticeably around the flat when purchasing a packer.

The rest of the article isn't even worth the time it would take to type my opinions.

Comment

There's probably more correct in here than wrong. Had the writer approached it from a less antagonistic direction he may have found more in agreement. Read through the shock portion of it and get down to the nuts and bolts.

#1 Absolutely true.
        #2 Absolutely true.
        #3 Go to a high-end BBQ joint, then try and dispute it
        #4 Well, he isn't exactly wrong. Personally I can hardly stomach Mixon, or some of his recipes I've tried.
        #5 I can neither dispute nor affirm this. All can say is..."NEW YORK CITY?!" Does it matter if it's BBQ or Salsa?
        #6 Maybe not hipsters, but white male dominated? Just watch ANY BBQ show on TV and you will see this true. I'm not sure the writer knows what a 'hipster' is, but he got the white male part 100% correct.
        #7 True. Church socials and community events continue to shrink. Moose clubs, Eagle, Elks, and the others are all losing members, some becoming little more than drinking clubs. The new way is the internet, as little face to face contact as possible, and burying your head in your phone.

Not sure how anyone can say the article is wrong. Poorly written maybe, but not wrong.

Comment

6 is just dumb, the person making the sides will never get the credit a pitmaster will at a bbq restaurant. When was the last time you went to an okra restaurant and decided to get a side of brisket? I can't speak to how the "National press" portrays it, but growing up in Arkansas and Georgia if you asked me what race the average pitmaster is, it wouldn't be white.
          As far as Myron goes, I like the guy, he says what he thinks. He has mastered understanding what people want, and he does that. He doesn't win because of who he is, judges say his is the best, once judges stop going for muffin pan chicken the winners won't be doing it. What kind of idiot would purposely cook something they know the judges won't like when in competition?

Sounds like they wanted to right a book, which they did, and to do that you have to have controversy, otherwise it's just a report.
          Last edited by _John_; July 15, 2015, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I think he writes this as a noveau BBQ afficianado not the expert he's supposed to be. TV & competition smoking has nothing to do with real BBQ - any competitor admits that the flavor profiles are totally different. Has the current trendiness of BBQ caused brisket prices to escalate? Sure, but so have the prices of flank, flap, flat iron, skirt, etc. and a load of other previously inexpensive meats that have become boutique trendy. Most of those are more expensive that NY Strip at Costco. Still, I don't know why he implies there's something wrong with getting your meat at a wholesale club. Costco has a good product and at least it's come down to $5.49 as of today for choice brisket. And I was recently able to get Angus Choice for $3.99 - not too shabby for the Atlantic Coast.

While I will someday get back to Austin (one of my two favorite cities I've lived in) and go to Franklin's, I'm happier cooking my own meat and happy with the quality and taste of the choice meats I've used. Generally, I've got no interest in paying $15-20 for a BBQ plate.

As for white-male dominated - again, he's talking about TV shows and competitions, though he does then mention the pitmasters at some real restaurants. There aren't many BBQ places in the Philly area, but one near me in West Chester s owned & run by an African-American woman and the most popular one in Philly proper is Phoebe's - although admittedly I don't know if there is even an actual Phoebe. This topic may more appropriately be about the lesser number of minority- and female-owned businesses in general.

Comment

I'm still trying to get over being called a hipster.

At my age, I've been called many things, but this is a first. Thinking it beats old fuddy-duddy.

Yup, at my age, experience and all, I'm OK with some twit calling me a hipster. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                6 is just dumb, the person making the sides will never get the credit a pitmaster will at a bbq restaurant. When was the last time you went to an okra restaurant and decided to get a side of brisket? I can't speak to how the "National press" portrays it, but growing up in Arkansas and Georgia if you asked me what race the average pitmaster is, it wouldn't be white.
                As far as Myron goes, I like the guy, he says what he thinks. He has mastered understanding what people want, and he does that. He doesn't win because of who he is, judges say his is the best, once judges stop going for muffin pan chicken the winners won't be doing it. What kind of idiot would purposely cook something they know the judges won't like when in competition?

Sounds like they wanted to right a book, which they did, and to do that you have to have controversy, otherwise it's just a report.
                John, re-read it. You and he are agreeing. I think the part of this that everyone is missing is this:

He doesn't say the average pitmaster is a white male hipster. He says the NATIONAL PRESS WOULD HAVE YOU BELIEVE that the average pitmaster is a white male hipster.

If you read it out of context you will disagree with him. If you take it in its entirety, you will see he's correct about the white male. They're going to push that because that's who they're marketing to.

Comment

From TIME In 2009:

"Hipsters are the friends who sneer when you cop to liking Coldplay. They're the people who wear t-shirts silk-screened with quotes from movies you've never heard of and the only ones in America who still think Pabst Blue Ribbon is a good beer. They sport cowboy hats and berets and think Kanye West stole their sunglasses. Everything about them is exactingly constructed to give off the vibe that they just don't care.

Side note: Pabst just announced yesterday that they are moving back to Milwaukee to recreate themselves as a modern craft beer, unearthing recipes that have spent more time on the shelves of a museum than in actual production. I, for one, welcome our new beer making overlords.
                  Last edited by CurlingDog; July 16, 2015, 08:32 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

• richinlbrg
                    richinlbrg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh yeah, CurlingDog , go ahead, ruin my day!

NONE of YOUR description fits me, except STILL liking my memories of PBR, and I DON'T care what anybody things about that! LOL

Then again, let's look at the definition source......I'll have to check my Funk and Wag!

Love him or hate him, BBQ Pitmasters would be a huge bore without Myron Mixon.
                  He's great for TV, he probably sucks as a general Human Being and a chef.

Comment

As a New Yorker, allow me to defend our nascient but very respectable BBQ scene.

The author writes: "And New Yorkers don’t understand and can’t be bothered with authentic traditions like serving the sliced meat on a piece of butcher paper with no utensils."

Here is a picture from my local Brooklyn Que joint, Fette Sau:

Here's a pic from Briskettown, another BBQ place in my hood, just down the street:

Or how about Hill Country in Manhattan, run by a bunch of Texans from, well, Hill Country:

I would say: the author doesn't understand and can't be bothered to try more than one BBQ restaurant in New York (Mighty Quinn's - not such a great one) before reaching generalized, lazy and thorougly incorrect conclusions.

R2-Meat2 Out.

Comment

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That looks legit to me.

Let's start with knowing one truth: the food either tastes good, or it doesn't.

Walsh's first three points are economic: spending more money to get unenhanced meat, shrinking briskets, and overpriced brisket (finished product). I can't think of any arguments in favor of those things, but there are market forces at work. And one might as well bray at the moon. If you want brisket, buy brisket. If not, learn to bbq other things. My last pork shoulder was $1.49/lb.

Myron Mixon? I've never watched a bbq show from start to finish. So I can't comment. But Meathead has said that those of us cooking for family and friends should not follow the recipes and techniques on TV, and anyhow there's no point to it; recipes and instructions are all over the internet. Myron Mixon might be a really nice guy. But "Myron Mixon" is a television character, who should not be confused with Myron Mixon, the same way Reality TV should not be confused with reality. I trust audiences to understand the difference, perhaps Walsh does not.

NYC bbq, Texas pizza: see known truth above. It's pretty easy to pull out a roll of butcher paper, as R2-Meat2 displays.

National press: Usernamevalid hit it on the head. Middle class men buy bbq equipment. Media exists to sell advertising. Tailgater magazine isn't the same thing as going tailgating, is it? I'm 60. My bbq memories going back 40 years are of minority owned businesses. See known truth above. If Smoky Bones can turn out good ribs, then someone has to give something more along with the food, there has to be a reason to go to Thelma's. The bbq has to be better, the ambiance has to be better, the sides have to be better, the service has to be better, SOMETHING has to be better. Or else Smoky Bones wins. Because an unspoken truth is that Americans like chains.

Community bbqs: I've never seen one here in NE PA. What we do have is the Elks club with an offset smoker turning out ribs a few times a month during the summer, and we have chicken bbqs at the church picnics. I have to say that there is no lack of volunteers at our local church picnics. Maybe this is a regional thing.

Last edited by Mosca; July 16, 2015, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
                    But Meathead has said that those of us cooking for family and friends should not follow the recipes and techniques on TV, and anyhow there's no point to it; recipes and instructions are all over the internet.
                    I have one of his books.

Comment

Interesting read

Comment

I am losing my mind.

I re-found this article, and I was going to post it but decided to search first and see if someone had already done so. Yes. I did, last year.

And the slow downhill march begins!

Comment

• Skip
                          Skip commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You are fine. You've had a lot on your plate this past year! Smell some smoke and you'll be ok.

• Danjohnston949
                          Danjohnston949 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Mosca, Aw Hell, Tom they say the Mind is the 2nd Thing to Go! Regards the Post you put up I agree with Some
                          Parts of It! I am going to have to go through it again Slowly! I am a slow Learner and a Skeptic!
                          From Fargo ND, Dan

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      Rubs Promo
                      Meat-Up in Memphis