Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It actually works!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip
    replied
    Thanks for all the info and ideas. I will be trying soon! Skip

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    mackdaddy my beef burgers are usually right on the edge of pink & brown. If they ht about 155 the pink is usually gone, 150 there may be a little left. Even when taken to 160 you can get them juicy if you use 80/20 and no leaner, do it all quick and don't compress the patty too much.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    mackdaddy I haven't measured or weighed them but I'd guess they're at least 1/2lb patties, they're pretty big. I'd also guess the adult sized ones are all of 4" pushing 3/4" thick. I don't want to have to eat two to get a full belly, so I make single burgers big enough. Then you use less buns, less cheese, plus a bigger patty cooks much better IMO. I don't put the bowl in the middle, but I do take care to make sure they're not humped up when hand-pattying them from the natural shape of your palm. I just squish the centers down flat but not indented intentionally. I try to imitate the 'smash burger' principle of minimally-necessary handling, to keep the meat loose and not packed, gotta give that juice somewhere to hang out.

• mackdaddy
    commented on 's reply
    How thick & round do you make your patties? Do you make the little "bowl" in the middle? Also is the center pink or light brown & juicy?
    Last edited by mackdaddy; July 13, 2015, 03:27 PM.

• Cidergregg
    replied
    I've been enjoying smashed diner burgers on the reverse side of my grillgrates. Super fast (at most 5 minutes) and amazingly textured, both crispy AND soft.
    I bought some heavy duty leather gloves just for these things. When I crank the old Genesis to max those grillgrates get scary. I singed half of my arm hair off just reaching over to flip them.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Skip Lately I've been cooking burgers (beef or turkey) HOT and indirect always. I no longer, ever, will cook them at 225 since in my experience that's a recipe for a drier burger, even at the proper finished IT. Let it be known I use storebought ground chuck 80/20, not home ground. If I can find 75/25 I grab it for burgers, so much the better!

I cook them at 350-400, (avg seems to be 380) and instead of taking them to 160 (ground beef) and 165 (poultry) I take beef to 150-155 and turkey to 160max.

I don't always reverse sear them, since at those high temps it's just not needed (for me). Last night I reverse seared some turkey burgers though, as a test.

Turkey burgers
    Usually turkey burgers dry out in 10 seconds if you're not careful and so I'd never risk trying to sear them. Tried it last night though. When they get about 10-15 below target I place them over the coals and sear them up to 5* under target, (~155) then remove and plate them. For last night's turkey burgers, I was aiming for 160. I started searing them when they hit 148-152 (I did 7 of them). Seared up to 155-157. Added some provolone and placed back indirect for a few mins to melt the cheese. If you cheese them before searing, the provolone at those higher air temps will lightly brown after a few minutes like pizza cheese. Maillard is good everywhere! When finished, some burgers were around 162, some 158.

Butter & toast the buns, I use the broiler. Turkey burgers can take a little more salt than beef burgers IMO, and both like pepper and garlic. The burgers had a slight crunch but were still plenty juicy, and in a word, amazing.

Beef burgers
    I take my beef burgers, cooked at 350-400, to 140. Seared them up to 150ish. Then I added cheese and put them back over to the indirect side for a min or three to melt the cheese. Eat them closer to 155, or a pinch under, than the recommended 160. When cooked hot, this temp of 155 still leaves them incredibly juicy.

Sometimes I add a little wood, sometimes not.
    Last edited by Huskee; July 13, 2015, 03:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    replied
    Skip Reverse sear on burger's... Easy peasy. Just read Meathead's Steakhouse Steakburger recipe and follow it EXACTLY! You will become an expert. It's just BASIC 2 zone grilling.

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    I have been trying reverse sear on burgers. Some success but need more practice. Any pointers out there? Thanks in advance! Skip

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Awesome, just told my wife I need more grill work, been smoking everything, need to master my porterhouses and burgers.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Well that is LITERALLY Mack Daddy!!

Leave a comment:

• mackdaddy
    started a topic It actually works!

It actually works!

Did steaks today and used Meatheads reverse searing method. Normally did steaks on gas grill over direct heat and med & Med rare were hit and miss with more misses, but well done was a specialty. To day used charcoal grill in two zones. The indirect zone at 230 F. did searing 1st on two thinish steaks at put them in indirect zone to finish. The thicker steaks had in indirect zone to 125 F (broke new handy dandy meat thermometer). Then seared to correct temps for med & med rare. It worked. The family loved them & my oldest daughter & son got their med rare to rare steak with a nice char great taste. Thanksgiving turkey here I come.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis