Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat Science Age question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat Science Age question

OK, folks, Meat Science Experts, I need to ask a question. HWMO bought a pork loin some time ago. it was cryovacced and has been sealed and refrigerated since we bought it. Question: the sell By was May 26. the intent is to cure it and make Canadian Bacon. I thought he had already put it on the cure. I actually thought that was what he planned to cure yesterday until he pulled out the bellies he had cured.

Is the pork OK to cure and smoke?

Next is a whole Brisket. again, Cryovacced, this time with a June 26th date. Is THAT OK to cure for corned beef? I would think the brisket would be, since I have read that many competition BBQ cooks will hold a brisket in cryo for a few weeks before cooking to age the beef.

but I do wonder about the pork. and I'm about to be a bit unhappy if the loin goes overboard. but that is an internal matter.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Let me preface this by saying that I don't work in the food service industry nor am I a food scientist in any way shape or form. This is only what I have found on my many BBQ adventures regarding cryovacs.

I cured and smoked a pork belly that had been in my fridge in the cryo for over a month. (Not intentional) And it came out just fine. Karon, When you open the pork cryovac, give it a smell. If it is rank or smells bad, discard it. If there is not an obvious rank smell you should be good to go.

As for the brisket. I usually age mine at least 30 days before cooking those bad boys. When You open the brisket cryovac, you will smell some unpleasant odor, no question. It can be quite strong. This is normal, the meat is breaking down. But don't be discouraged. I've never made corned beef. But I would think it would be just fine, as the curing process is retarding the breakdown any further.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Excellent. thank you. We have put everything in the cure and I'll let you know how it comes out. If anyone has other cautions, please let us know.

Comment

I try to go 40-45 days on the brisket. Most of the stinch is actually from the blood that has purged. Once you ditch it, it isn't as bad.

Definite sight and smell on the pork. Staph. aureus will glob up nicely with pretty greens and blues and what not.

Comment

I have found that if I take fresh briskets (like Creekstone, right off the line, never frozen) and age them on ice I get no stench. Not sure why that is, maybe the constant temperature all over keeps it more stable the the changing air temperature in a refrigerator? They lose almost zero liquid coming out of the cryovac--the plastic is moist but nothing drips out.

Comment

Just keep in mind the pathogens have no odor.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              That's not true, people produce plenty odors once ingested.

• Karon Adams
              Karon Adams commented
              Editing a comment
              That is one reason I own Boxers. they make great scape goats for that sort of thing....Rrrrriiiiiiicccckkk!!??

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis