Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for ANOTHER Standing Ovation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for ANOTHER Standing Ovation

chudzikb decided he wanted to join Steve Vojtek in learning to make sourdough bread. He followed the same lesson plan that I laid out for Steve.

He made his own sourdough starter out of flour, water and the natural yeast that's in the environment. In about 2 weeks he had an active sourdough starter that was ready to bake a loaf of bread with.

He followed the lesson plan and made his first ever loaf of bread. All went really well except the crumb of his bread was a little too dense. He got incredible over spring and he, his friends and family like the taste of his first loaf.

His second loaf turned out INCREDIBLY good for a beginning baker. He got the same exceptional oven spring but this time he also got an open and airy crumb that we all expect to see in sourdough bread.

chudzikb said to me he was surprised how easy it was. He said it's taking him about 9 hours total to mix, shape and bake his loaves start to finish but that it takes up very little of his time because it's mostly waiting. Kind of like a low and slow brisket or pork butt cook.

I point out chudzikb accomplishment only because for a guy that has only baked 2 loaves of bread... This is an incredible accomplishment.

Let's all give him credit for a job well done.

Breadhead
    Last edited by Breadhead; July 10, 2015, 09:42 AM.

Wow, Jerod Broussard will have to try that stuff at the new establishment. He loves some bread with ketchup as a late night snack.

Comment

Thank you sir! I am not due any ovation, yourself and Steve are the ones that deserve the credit for walking me through the process. If not how you created that thread and sucked me in to the idea of actually making this on my own, would not have happened. Not now, not ever. And for that I thank you and Steve. And this site, it give power to the everyday hacks (like my self) and makes them better than they would be without the sites guidance. Gave the ladies at work some again today, they were happy with the results. And want MORE.
      And I am paying forward, gave my friend that has shown interest some today, he is a BGE guy. I will tell him he can use that for his oven and he will get stupid excited.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        @chudzikb.

Have your BGE Friend contact me about how to bake his bread in his BGE. I know the perfect setup and how to do it. I bake the majority of my bread in my BGE.

Don't be so humble my friend. All we did was guide you on your journey. You made your own starter. You mixed and kneaded the dough. You shaped it. You final proofed. You determined properly when to bake it. That's YOUR loaf of bread!

Stand proud. To pull that nearly perfect loaf of bread off in just your second attempt is nearly a miracle. I base that assessment on my own learning curve when I first took up making bread. My first 5 loaves were failures. They made good door stops but they weren't fit for human consumption.

Both you and Steve have completely surprised me that you were making loaves of bread that experienced bakers would be proud of in your first few loaves. I've frequented bread sites for years. I've seen beginning baker post pictures of their loaves asking for advice of how to correct their errors. I've never seen beginning sourdough bread makers like you and Steve post beautiful loaves like you guys have... Never.
        Last edited by Breadhead; July 11, 2015, 08:27 PM.

You did exceptionally well chudzikb . You accomplished something that takes people weeks or months to achieve - and you did it on your second loaf. My hat off to you!

Comment

KUDOS, man

KUDOS!

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          WOA, @chudzikb

You live in Northern VA?

We live in Leesburg (actually, just outside of town proper now). Never been to Sweetwater - I try not to go east! LOL

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          WOOPS, forgot about the convo we had during the winter.

You came all the way for Sweetwater?

• chudzikb
          chudzikb commented
          Editing a comment
          My sister's favorite place. She lives in Reston. Headed to battlefields in Richmond and appomattox.

THAT makes a lot of sense!!

Have a GREAT time, and safe travels!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis