Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
See more
See less

My Solution to MCS: The Joule!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zero_credit
    Club Member
    • Mar 2020
    • Near Chicago, IL
    • Current Pride and Joy:

Masterbuilt Gravity 560

Joule

Old (sold) Loves:

PBC
      Weber 22" Premium

Thermometers:

Inkbird
      Thermoworks POP

Preferred Charcoal:

B&B Charlogs/B&B Lump

My Solution to MCS: The Joule!

Yeah, if anyone has been paying attention to my recent posts, I have been researching new smokers/grills (Grilla OG, SmokeFire, Grilla Silverbac...), but couldn't really get too excited as experience didn't seem like it would be too different from the MB560.

Thus....I ordered a Joule, and now I have lots of new cooking techniques and recipes to explore using meats and other foods for a much smaller $ outlay (only $150...).

First cook is Polarbear777 's "two-week pastrami" after the huge success with the earlier pastrami a while back. This will be fun.
  • JakeT
    Club Member
    • Mar 2018
    • Cowtown (NorCal), CA
    • Lonestar Grillz 24x48
      Forno Bravo Casa 110
      Sunterra 60" Argentine Grill w/ Rear Brasero
      KBQ C-60
      Weber Kettle 22"
      Fire Magic a660i
      PK 360

Fireboard
      Bernzomatic w/ Mapp Gas

Congrats on the purchase! I use mine a couple times a week. Works great especially if you realize midday that you want a steak but the only steak you have is frozen! SV 133* for 2-3 hours, let sit at room temp for 30 minutes, then sear over a charcoal chimney!

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Club Member
      • Mar 2020
      • Muskego, WI
      • Current cookers:
        Rec Tec RT700 "Bull" pellet cooker
        Smokin-It model 2 electric smoker w/ Maverick 732 temp monitor and cold smoking kit
        Weber Genesis 3 burner gas grill w/ rotisserie
        Charbroil Grill2Go gas grill
        Weber 22" Performer Deluxe kettle grill w/ThermoPro TP-20S temp monitor
        Onlyfire rotisserie kit for 22" kettle
        Weber Smokey Joe
        SnS Deluxe
        Vortex
        The Orion Cooker convection cooker/smoker (two of them)
        Blackstone 17" griddle
        Joule Sous Vide circulator

Favorite beer: Anything that's cold!
        Favorite cocktail: Bourbon neat

My son turned me on to Souse Vide and specifically the Joule. Love it. Still very much to learn and how/when to use it. But that’s the fun. A lot cheaper than another grill.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        Club Member
        • Jan 2020
        • Milwaukie, OR

Happy you are. Sounds as if you're going to have fun in mass quantities.

Comment

• Mojo0209
          Club Member
          • Jan 2017
          • Fox Valley, Illinois

I have the IP circulator and it is fun to cook differently, especially in the colder months. Picked it up for $50, to learn. It’s a different, but fun way to cook. Good luck, u will be making great food and learning at the same time.

Comment

• mgaretz
            Founding Member
            • Jul 2014
            • San Ramon, CA
            • Mark Garetz
              Rec Tec pellet grill
              Weber Genesis Gasser
              Maverick ET-732 and Thermapen and others

Love my Joule.

Comment

• phrogpilot73
              Club Member
              • Oct 2017
              • Virginia Beach, VA
                • Myron Mixon Pitmaster Q3
                  • Pellet Pro by Smoke Daddy Controller
                • Weber Original Kettle Premium Limited Edition
                • Blackstone Tailgater Combo
                • Ooni Karu 12
                • A-Maze-N 6" Tube & 5x8
                • Char-Broil The Big Easy Tru Infrared
                • iGrill 2 with ambient probe
                • Anova Precision Cooker
                • Instant Pot Duo 6 Qt
                • FreshRoast SR500 Coffee Roaster
                • T-Fal EZ-Clean Oil Filtration Fryer
                • Pork Belly
                • Brisket
                • Babyback Ribs
                • Cream Soda
                • Swamp Pop Sodas
                • Fruit Flavored Water
                • Horchata

I don't have the Joule but the Anova (I was an original Kickstarter backer). I use it at least twice a week, and the beauty of it is taking a cheap cut of meat and cooking it sous vide until it is as tender as butter. I've done 48 hour short ribs, 24 hour eye of round, and of course some tougher steaks that are usually pretty cheap.

When everyone was panic buying food earlier this year, I went to the meat case and it was picked clean. With the exception of stuff that people had no idea how to cook/start with, and my reaction was - it's one of my favorites to sous-vide!

Enjoy!

Comment

• fzxdoc
                Founding Member
                • Jul 2014
                • My toys:
                  Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center (WSCGC) aka Mr. Fancypants
                  Pit Barrel Cooker (which rocks), named Pretty Baby
                  Weber Summit S650 Gas Grill, named Hot 'n Fast (used mostly for searing and griddling)
                  Weber Kettle Premium 22" named Kettle Kid, eager to horn in with more cooks in the future
                  Camp Chef Somerset IV 4-burner outdoor gas range named AfterBurner due to its 30kBTU burners

Adrenaline BBQ Company Gear:
                  SnS, DnG, andLarge Charcoal Basket, for WSCGC
                  SnS for 22" Kettle
                  Elevated SS Rack for WSCGC
                  SS Rack for DnG
                  Cast Iron Griddle
                  Grill Grate for SnS
                  Grill Grates: five 17.375 sections (retired to storage)
                  Grill Grates: six 19.25 panels for exact fit for Summit S650 gasser
                  2 Grill Grate Griddles
                  Steelmade Griddle for Summit gas grill

Fireboard Gear:
                  Extreme BBQ Thermometer Package
                  Additional control unit
                  Additional probes: Competition Probes 1" (3) and 4" (1), 3 additional Ambient Probes. 1 additional Food Probe
                  2 Driver Cables
                  Pit Viper Fan (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
                  Pit Viper Fan new design (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
                  Thermoworks Gear:
                  Thermapen MK5 (pink)
                  Thermapen MK4 (pink too)
                  Thermoworks MK5 orange
                  Temp Test 2 Smart Thermometer
                  Extra Big and Loud Timer
                  Timestick Trio
                  Maverick ET 73 a little workhorse with limited range
                  Maverick ET 733
                  Maverick (Ivation) ET 732

Grill Pinz
                  Vortex (two of them)

Two Joule Sous Vide devices
                  VacMaster Pro 350 Vacuum Sealer

Instant Pot 6 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
                  Instant Pot 10 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker

Charcoal Companion TurboQue
                  A-Maze-N tube 12 inch tube smoker accessory for use with pellets

BBQ Dragon and Dragon Chimney

Shun Classic Series:
                  8" Chef Knife
                  6" Chef's Knife
                  Gokujo Boning and Fillet Knife
                  3 1/2 inch Paring Knife

I heart my Joule! It gets used once or twice a week.

Just did steakhouse burgers with it a couple of nights ago. It was blustery and snowing outside, so getting those thick burgers pasturized using the Joule and searing them off on the Summit gasser with my Grill Grate Griddle made things much easier and I didn't have to frost my bippy doing it.

FWIW, I did not use the Joule-app-recommended times and temps, I used Kenji's Serious Eats recommendations for this one since I wanted to ensure pasturization through to the very center of the burger. For the most part the Joule app recommendations are spot on for us, and I appreciate its convenience.

Enjoy your new toy! The question is what will Santa put under the tree now?

Kathryn

Comment

• zero_credit
                  zero_credit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, your recommendations in the sous vide forums really sold the device for me.
              • barelfly
                Club Member
                • Dec 2017
                • New Mexico
                • Smokin-It 3D
                  Weber Kettle with an SNS
                  Masterbuilt kettle that I call the $30 wonder grill
                  Bullet by Bull Grills gasser
                  Anova WiFi sous vide machine
                  Thermoworks Thermapen and Chef Alarm

I don’t have a Joule, I have an Anova, but either way - they are fun and come in handy. Chicken breasts are pretty much money with a SV cook and quick sear. Many other fun cooks with the SV as well.

Like Kathryn above, I also use Kenji’s recommendations. He has many recipes actually in the Anova app as well.

Have fun with that! Especially your first SVQ cook!

Comment

• BFlynn
                  Charter Member
                  • Oct 2014
                  • Third Coast

I don't understand the "not excited about MCS"......

are you saying there's a cure? I don't think there's a cure.

I think the sous vide will be my next venture. Right now, waiting on my SnS kettle to show up.....
                  Last edited by BFlynn; December 18, 2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    byebyeblue
                • Skip
                  Founding Member
                  • Jul 2014
                  • Blue Earth, Minnesota
                  • LSG Adjustable Grill/Smoker, MAK Pellet Grill, Large BGE, Weber Kettle with SnS, Weber Gasser, Pit Barrel Cooker, Cast Iron Pans & Griddle, Grill Grates, Mostly Thermoworks Thermometers

Sous Vide is loads of fun with great results. I'm doing some chicken legs and thighs for the first time as I type this. I really like to do chicken breasts, boneless pork chops, and tri tip. Have fun with your new Joule zero_credit . Let us know how it goes for you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for tentatively March 18-21, 2022. Click here for more info: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/announcements/misc/1014106-meat-up-in-memphis-2021-canceled
                  See more
                  See less
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder's fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here's a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys:

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                  The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                  The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                  The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                  The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                  The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                  We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                  Stylish and Affordable
                  Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                  Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                  A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                  Webers? Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                  GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                  The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                  This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                  A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                  FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                  Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                  Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order