Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting a brick firepit to a smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting a brick firepit to a smoker

Hello,

I have a circular brick firepit in my back yard that I was thinking of converting to a smoker... I've searched online but not a lot available in terms of the best way to do it. It's basically made of 3 levels of thick curved bricks and fits a 24 inch grate.

I could just try smoking as is and use my Weber kettle lid on top with the air vents to control heat... lay out some charcoal and wood to one side for indirect cooking. I'm wondering if there would be not enough air intake from the bottom side... or maybe the lid doesn't seal it off well enough... should I apply some mortar to get a better seal in between the curved bricks?

Or I was thinking of using some regular bricks to build another small fire pit/compartment with a similar concept to an off-set smoker. It would come off the side of the firepit and I would have to allow for an opening for the smoke to enter the larger fire pit. I would put my coals and wood there, the smoke would have to enter through the opening into the circular firepit probably under a heat shield then come up and out through the food on the grates. I could then build into the smaller compartment vents for air flow control.

Any thoughts? Has anyone ever tried this? I read that the seal is the an important thing with smokers and this firepit is likely not sealed as well as an oil drum or something like that...

Thanks and I've enjoyed reading everyone's ideas and recipes!

Take care,
    Tim

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis