Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Met one of my musical idols, Tonic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Met one of my musical idols, Tonic

This past Mon night up in Traverse City, MI my wife & I had the long-awaited chance to see my 2nd favorite band of all time, Tonic. They played with Toad the Wet Sprocket. The majority of you reading this are probably thinking "who?", but if you know anything about 90s radio rock, you'll know those two names. Both bands have numerous radio hits and several albums each.

I met Emerson Hart, the lead singer of Tonic. He has a couple solo albums and either his stuff or Tonic's CDs are in my car CD player on any given day. I was quite stoked to meet him and bassist/backup vocalist Dan Lavery. Emerson posed for a couple pics with the wife & I.

Shame the lighting was so bad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150707_013319.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	95646 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG7849_1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	95647

Prior to that we rode the Ferris wheel, wife's first time ever on one despite being [insert her age here].
    It was a lot of fun being a teenager again for one night. Except we could buy beer

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG7827_1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	95648

Have any of you got to meet one of your favorite musicians/bands?
    Last edited by Huskee; July 9, 2015, 09:03 AM.

Just hearing that name, Tonic, throws me back to 90's radio!! I have never met one my favorites (Roger Waters, David Gilmore, James Hetfield, Kirk Hammet, etc.) But I did meet one of my old mans favorites at the Minnesota Zoo one year. Buddy Guy played a small show there at the amphitheater. The show was small enough that he had time and the willingness to hang out after the show and meet a few of the fans. It was really amazing to see my father glow like that. Pretty special night. Congrats to you Husk, what a feeling.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks man. I really had no idea that would happen I was just happy enough to be able to see them on stage. That was icing on the cake.

I can't believe Buddy Guy is still doing his thing after all this time, and making a new record too.

I'd like to meet Hetfield or Hammet too, they seem like genuinely nice guys.

Going to see Def Leppard and Tesla next Tues 7/21 in Mt Pleasant MI. I'm quite sure I won't just happen upon them out mingling though.

Comment

Mettalica? - Def Leppard? - You guys are talking my language here! Throw in Black Sabbath and woohooo! And Elvis - i still have a big softspot for Elvis ever since i was a huge fan in my early teenage years....I've never had the fortune of meeting any of my idols though...Oh and just like your wife i've never been on a ferris wheel till the age of twenty - nothing wrong with that. Love your t-shirt in the first pic and third ..

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Pink Floyd and Metallica are my favorite bands of all time. The closet I ever came to meeting Hetfield was at a show in Minneapolis. I got tickets on the floor and made it to the rail. Hetfield took a huge gulp of beer after playing Harvester of Sorrow, and sprayed the whole crowd!! I have never been more excited to be spat on in my whole life!! What a killer show that was. Oh man, que in goosebumps!! @stevevojtek

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't get to meet anyone, but me and my friend Bill went to see The Ramones in Chicago in 1977. I'm 6'2" and at the time was about 210 and in shape; Bill is 6'5" and just BIG. Some guy pulled us out of the ticket line and asked us if we wanted to get in free, all we had to do was be stage guards: stand in front of the stage and keep people from rushing or jumping onto it. As soon as they started (opened with "Blitzkreig Bop") we turned around and started pogoing (it was the '70s, what can I say.) So we saw The Ramones from as close as I am to this keyboard, less than an arm's length away. Loudest thing I ever experienced, I was near deaf for three days afterward.

• Steve Vojtek
        Steve Vojtek commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker . Pink Floyd brings back memories... couple of decades ago or more... my friends and me smoking that "alternative" tobacco... man what a trip!
        I get goosebumps just reading about your experience with Metallica! I've got some Metallica concerts on dvd's.. When i get a chance i'll watch them again - who knows maybe i will recognise you in the crowd? What a trip that would be....

Used to do some synthesizer and electronics work for the Dead in the 70s, also some work with Steve Miller, The Weather Report, Sammy Hagar Band and Night Ranger.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I had drinks with Sammy Hagar one day in Minneapolis. I was having sushi at the bar with a buddy of mine, working off our hangovers some years back. Sammy and his bassist walked in and sat down. Asked us "whats up and offered us a shot of his "Cabo Wabo tequila. " we sat there for about an hour and just BS'd about tequila, music and life. He was a Great guy. I'm not a huge fan of his music per se, But hes a hell of a nice guy.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Neat stuff! I liked Sammy when he sang for VH.

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah, forgot I did some stuff for Van Halen too. A synthesized/processed voice used as the into to one of the songs they did on tour.

That is so cool.

I'm 60 years old. One night in 1966 I was laying in bed listening to the radio (under the covers after the lights were out holding it next to my ear because we were supposed to be sleeping) and I heard for the first time this cheesy organ: "Bah ba-ba-ba BA-BA buh-buh-buh...." "96 Tears". ? and the Mysterians. And I couldn't get enough of it. It is absolutely my favorite pop song of all time.

Fast forward 20 some years or so. I'm with my friend Sue in The Decade in Pittsburgh, watching Joe "King" Carrasco and The Crowns. But his usual keyboard player, Kris Cummings, isn't with him; it's some old guy. And about halfway through the second set, the old guy smiles, and starts playing... "Bah ba-ba-ba BA-BA buh-buh-buh...." And Joe says, "I'd like to introduce a special band member on tour with us, you might know him as Question Mark... ladies and gentlemen, Rudy Martinez!" And they played "96 Tears"! And, since The Decade was a dive bar where everyone is about 10 feet from everyone else, after the show I got to introduce myself to the guy who wrote and performed my most favorite song of all time, and tell him that, and thank him, and buy him a drink for it.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I had to Youtube that one...then as it began playing I realized I surely do know it! Cool story.

Huskee Have seen Def Lep about 5 times from their heyday all the way up to playing minor-league ballparks.

My wife is a big fan of Bryan Adams and he was playing an acoustic set locally on her birthday a few years back, so I got VIP/meet-n-greet passes. He was a bit stand-offish with most of the fans because they were gushing all over him and he was clearly uncomfortable with their borderline restraining-order behavior. When our turn came to meet him my wife (who is very shy) simply said hello and asked him to please sign her CD case. When I mentioned it was her birthday and that she's been a longtime fan he came around the table and took a picture with an arm around her. She was absolutely glowing.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        That's cool! I would hate to be famous and have people doing that to me. They have to put on their PR faces and that would be tough night after night. Congrats to your wife!

Beyond cool! Dig both them bands. That's sweet man.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jon! Wish I'd known you coulda come along.

Both cool bands. Oleander was pretty popular, they did a concert in HI while I lived there in a dive bar and since we liked them we took em out after the show for drinks and girls. Hung out most of the night and had a blast.
      Met Chevelle and Filter the same way, Chevelle hadn't had their breakthrough yet, Filter was old by then.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      Rubs Promo
      Meat-Up in Memphis