Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grateful Griller at Fare Thee Well in Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grateful Griller at Fare Thee Well in Chicago

Just wanted to share an amazing experience from our recent Grateful Dead 50 trip to Chicago last weekend...

For those not familiar with the event, it was billed as the last three shows for the "core four" of the Grateful Dead...a closure of sorts since Jerry Garcia's passing and his last show (in Chicago on July 9, 1995). It was sort of like the final gathering of the tribes. As usual, it was complete with a time-warp parking lot scene with plenty of vendors selling all manner of stuff from tie-dyes to food. Deadheads refer to this kind of ad-hoc crafts fair as "Shakesdown Street" after one of the band's songs. The parking lot we used all three days turned out to be Shakedown Street central.

As in days gone by, the event attracts all types from well-heeled to homeless and everything in between, many without tickets and hoping for a miracle. It was there we found the Grateful Griller and crew.

Mike, Trevor, and Perry came down from Wakefield, Quebec, Canada on a pilgrimage to raise money for Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) in Ottawa. They dubbed this effort R U Grateful with a mission to pay it forward and feed folks for free in the parking lot. No strings, just great food cooked up on a Primo grill. The fundraiser part was getting folks to buy a tee shirt to support CHEO and the chance to win a set of custom Grateful Dead skis (which are absolutely beautiful, btw).

This wasn't just dried out burgers, either...the Grateful Grillers served up salmon, shrimp, and brats all three days. Mike does this for a living, and I was able to learn a lot from him in a very short time. Turns out we use much of the same gear aside from the Primo and he's more than aware of AR (he thinks Meathead is pretty amazing).

A lot of the folks he fed were homeless, broke, and really needed a good meal. This all came out of his own pocket and he really just wanted to start a conversation about being grateful for what we have and doing good.

I just wanted to post a few pics and give them some well-deserved credit. If you're so inclined, visit his site and buy a shirt to help CHEO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1084.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	95635 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1092.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	95636 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1095.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	95637 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1096.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	95638

Thanks for sharing, Carol! Those are some great pics and sounds like a more than wonderful time. So nice to read about people doing good things for other people.

Comment

What a great cause and an amazing show from what I heard.

Comment

Long live the Dead...and the Grillers. How very nice!

For a warm feeling, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHo1fNnXFVU
        Last edited by Willy; July 9, 2015, 03:02 PM. Reason: Added the video link.

Comment

Looks like a blast! I had to be in Seattle that weekend. Wish I could have joined you. Nice travel setup!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis