Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overnight cook and sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karon Adams
    replied
    tasting the reduced drippings right now, just a taste on the spoon, the sauce tastes like the bark on my meat. that is EXACTLY what I want!!!

Leave a comment:

• Karon Adams
    started a topic Overnight cook and sauce

Overnight cook and sauce

So, this has become SOP here. HWMO builds the fire. he has learned the best minion set up for our barrel. between that and the blower, the temp stay perfect all night long. I told him PLENT of water in my drip pan, I did NOT want any burn at ALL. and that is what I have! All that marvelous smoke flavor, all the little drips and drabs and carried spices and smoke it ws MARVELOUS. and it was blonde.

oh, dear, THAT stinks.

of course, what was missing was the cook & caramelizing that happens IN the drip pan, that lovely flavor you want in your sauce.

Guess what? it is EASY to make. so, everything in my drip pan went into my new saucier (SQUEEEEE!!!) that thing is SO wonderful! a good pot/pan makes ALL the difference in the world!!!

so, I turn on one eye and, with my drip pan, I take a ladle full of partially reduced (therefore more concentrated) drippings and put them in the drip pan. with the gas burner running, I just move the liquid around the pan, allowing it to coat, cook, bubble and caramelize on the bottom of the pan. carefully swirling and allowing the caramelization, I end up with the reduced, caramelized syrup from two ladle full of the already reduced by half contents of the drip pan.

this is how you concentrate the 'umami' flavor that we all love so much. I let that keep sliding over the created hot spot, bubble up, caramelize the juice, add another layer before anything has time to burn. once we are down to nothing except thick,brown syrup.

Once I have that, I can either make up another ladle ful and just keep adding layers, or I can go ahead and pour on a small amount of vinegar and pineapple juice concentrate, on the heat, to get the syrup to release, then just add it to your reducing dripping sauce.

I will be making BBQ sauce, today, but I won't use all of my dripping. I plan to bottle some of this to use as a base. a steak sauce base, an anything base.

I plan to buy some more pig feet and other pig scraps and toss them on to smoke (and if you smoke pig feet, remember there IS a nice, yummy bite of pork inside those little trotters, too, so, go ahead and grab that for dinner) and I'll gather the flavor in the drip pan, caramelize the drippings in this manner, and make my concentrated base, keeping it to use whenever I want to add some BBQ to any meal.

OK< meat scientist types, what would you guys recommend as a bottling/sterilization method to make this stuff shelf stable. I have the equipment for pressure canning as well as up to 15 gallon SS pots and all the standard equipment for intermediate to expert hobbyist bewmeister/canner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis