Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can wrapping in butcher paper extend cook time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I just wrap if things get dark enough and I am a ways away from probe tender. I've had a few go all the way. If I cooked higher grades I'm sure that number would be higher.

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    Jerod Broussard I was going to wrap with butcher paper but I decided not to wrap.

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    It definitely takes a bit longer when compared to foil.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; July 4, 2015, 08:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bcumber
    started a topic Can wrapping in butcher paper extend cook time

Can wrapping in butcher paper extend cook time

Several years ago, we moved to a retirement community. Since we now had limited space, we brought our kettle but not our offset smoker. Then we added a Smokette Elite which fit nicely on our new deck. Not quite satisfied with results from our electric smoker, added Smokenator to our Weber kettle. Over time, our process for longer smokes (butts & briskets) evolved to smoking on kettle 3 – 5 hrs (as long as we could hold ≈225°) then move meat to Smokette to finish (sometimes wrapping in foil, sometimes not). Better tasting result than electric smoker alone. Recently retired Smokenator, replaced with SnS.
    Following a couple of trial runs with SnS, felt ready for 1st brisket. Plan was to use our regular 2-step process. Smoke-step with SnS worked great; as bedtime approached, the internal temp was 165°. For the first time, the meat was wrapped in pink butcher paper prior to moving to electric smoker. In the morning, the internal temp had only progressed to 175°. Using another thermometer, the oven’s temp checked out at 225°. Finally had to resort to pushing oven temp to 275° to get internal meat temp over 200° by 4:00 which only allowed a couple of hours in faux cambro prior to slicing for supper. Total smoking time was over 24 hrs. Meat was good, not great.
    Hence the question. Was this just a stubborn brisket or has anyone else experience longer cook times using pink butcher paper wrapping?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis