Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smelling like smoke (personally) while preparing for a group feast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smelling like smoke (personally) while preparing for a group feast

Is it just me, or is smelling like somebody who sat in front of an intense campfire all day, a problem? I love to smoke meats for my family and friends, but can't avoid smelling like a overly-smoked brisket myself. Other than taking at least a couple showers throughout the process, any suggestions?

I went into my brothers office one time after doing an all night cook. I was wearing my Carharrt all night as it was winter in Minnesota. I did'nt really notice that I had smelled like smoke at all. But when I got to the office everyone was saying how I smelled like smoke!!
    The only way to avoid it is to try and stay out of the direct smoke when you open your smoker. The other solution is to change after your done cooking. But honestly, if your making BBQ it kinda comes with the territory. Plus if your serving BBQ, the wonderful aroma is going to be in the air anyway.
    To be honest, I would be much more concerned with what the food tastes like than what I smell like. I love the smell anyway!!

And if you really don't like smelling like BBQ/fire while cooking, there is always baking to be done in the Kitchen!!

Keep Calm Smoke On!!!!

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said Spinaker

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed... But I stole your funny smiley face flipping burgers. 😎

Welcome, I usually take a shower just before myself. I have mentioned it a couple times, but I think smelling the smoke all day affects our taste buds too. A friend and I both like a heavy smoke on our meats, when I cook I mention that it doesn't have the smoke flavor I am looking for, but the leftovers always have plenty. He said there is plenty of smoke and has given me pieces at restaurant that is comparable, and mine doesn't taste near that smokey. Smelling it all day kind of ruins the taste for us.

I have a good mask, maybe I can test it out, neighbors need to wonder why I am grilling in a gas mask anyway.

Comment

My experience is that the smoke collects in your hair and on your shirt. You might try running a wet wash cloth through your hair, and washing your face; do the cook with an old tshirt on, and change to a nicer shirt afterward. Obviously this won't get all of it, but it will help.

Comment

I guess I fail to see the problem of smelling like a campfire myself... I LOVE that smell. But yeah, I smell like that too.

Originally posted by HawksJ View Post
        Is it just me, or is smelling like somebody who sat in front of an intense campfire all day, a problem? I love to smoke meats for my family and friends, but can't avoid smelling like a overly-smoked brisket myself. Other than taking at least a couple showers throughout the process, any suggestions?

Comment

I just take a shower once the smoke is gone, about 2 or 3 hours into the cook.

Comment

I love the smell of wood smoke and don't worry about it. Of course, I shave my head so I don't have the smell in my hair. And I agree with John - actually I think it was Dr. BBQ's book that I have that pointed out that your sense of smokiness is dulled from doing the smoking.

Comment

Hmmm... When I'm smoking meat my ONLY thought is getting the cook right... Taste, moister, temp, flavor. How I smell has never entered my mind.

If my food blows my guests minds with flavor... They don't care what I smell like!

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahaha, perfect.

I think they need to come out with Hickory Smoke after shave and body wash....just saying

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
                Steve Vojtek commented
                Editing a comment
                I think they already have - 'liquid smoke' .. that should work...

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                Why not - they have bacon body wash.

• volsmoker
                volsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                Amen!

If I'm having guests over I will hop in the shower once the food's ready and I don't need to man the smoker anymore. Even if the food's still on the smoker, I don't mind running out quick to grab it after I've showered. Neither myself, my family nor any of my friends are cig smokers, so I don't want to smell like smoke, even if it's wood smoke, at the dinner table if I can help it. But, it does go with the territory and most understand that.

Comment

Smoke a cigar or a pipe along with your cook. I dunno....maybe you could really confuse people.

Comment

This phenomenon was never more evident than Sunday. With so many people over and so many cookers to man, I didn't have time to shower and de-smokify myself. While I though the pulled pork tasted very good, the smoke wasn't very evident to me. Yesterday we had leftovers, and the smoke was very evident. The only real difference was a clean nose.

Comment

Always shower before serving or eating. Even if I plan to eat outside, I'll shower first. Guests or no guests.

Comment

I usually shower about an hour before the meat is done, however when I don't, our guests have no doubts as to who the Pitmaster is. lol.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      Rubs Promo
                      Meat-Up in Memphis