Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak Tartare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak Tartare

So, it really isn't something I have tried but I might. I know a lot of people are freaking out over <gasp> RAW EGGS!!! but, the Sous Vide ends that fear. a nice bit of time in the bath can pasteurize your eggs. I wonder if it can pasteurize your meat before making tartare as well?

Not to be a killjoy, but isn't tartare supposed to be raw? For pasteurizing, or rather, tenderizing, I would dry cure it instead.
    As in: hang it in a cool place, wait for nature to do it's job, and serve.

I don't have a sous vide machine, though, so perhaps you can run it at low temps? Could be a potential option? Would like to know more about this.

Comment

From Meathead's USDA meat temp page, regarding bacteria in meat and sous vide:

They start croaking at about 130°F, and in theory, if you hold a piece of beef at 130°F internal temp for about two hours, you can kill all the bugs.

We all know steak at 130 is just out of rare range inching toward medium rare. I suppose if you really wanted 'pasteurized' steak, or a loose definition thereof, you could try this. It wouldn't truly be tartare...but darn close.

Comment

I am curious, what is the allure of Tartar? Is it similar to having grilled tuna as opposed to raw tuna in lets say, sushi or nigiri? What is the flavor and texture like? Or is it more just about eating raw meat.

Comment

Briefly -- raw meatloaf! I ate it when I lived in Europe. They did a white sauced tartar and a red sauced one. I preferred the white, which was heavy with horseradish in my recollection. I won't go out of my way to have it again.

Comment

this topic make me cringe a little.

steak tartare is ok I suppose... but meatloaf? no thanks.

Comment

TBH, I've never had it, myself. I grew up on a cattle farm and we raised just about everything we ate. I could handle a chicken from young childhood. I never could understand the allure of tartar myself but the history is interesting. the Tatars would put a hunk of meat under the saddle and ride all day, then eat when they found a stopping place.

my father never ate a steak with the slightest bit of pink. he wanted it cooked to within an inch of shoe leather. chefs (on the rare occasion that he ate somewhere that actually HAD a chef) always warned him that they took NO responsibility for the tenderness.

Me? I like mine Medium Rare. HWMO is a little nervous. He says I want a cow that a decent vet could have back on it's feet. imagine my thrill when The Doctor used the same line! It really WAS Christmas!!

Anyway, it was more an observation than anything else. Beef is, I think I read, somewhere, the only meat humans can eat at any stage in it's decomposition. that is at once gratifying and quite gross. Sushi is something I've never really been enthusiastic about. my kidlets used to like it (before they fell for the peta nonsense). and ate it on occasion. my youngest persuaded me to eat octopus once. we both found out the hard way (she more than I since I only ate one piece of the roll) that you are supposed to eat Octopus AT the restaurant immediately after it has been prepared.

Meanwhile, you also get to pasteurize your egg for your tartar!!

Comment

hmmm rare steak with stinky old saddle leather overtones... yikes!

Our cat is definitely into Sushi more than we are... my wife always makes fish bait jokes when someone talks about it.

Comment

A possible compromise might be a very fast, very hot sear on all sides of the piece of tenderloin to kill exterior bacteria. A local restaurant does this with their carpaccio, which is basically tartare left in whole thin discs. Their carpaccio is excellent.

Alternatively, if you've got a nuclear facility nearby, take the hunk o' meat down and have them irradiate it. :«)

Comment

Dear friend and fellow BBQer was in my trailer (that dates this story to pre-2009), I had my brisket in a pan waiting to be seasoned. He asked me if he could "nip a bit off of that beef?" then grabbed a knife and sliced a thin strip off the top and munched it right down. Predicted I'd do well with that and I was in the money.

Doesn't have a thing to do with tartare!

Comment

Tartare is delicious, sushi is delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by mayapoppa View Post
                        Tartare is delicious, sushi is delicious.
                        Not sure if I've ever had beef tartare, (very rare, yes) but tuna tartare is to die for. Sushi is one thing I could eat every night and be one happy clam. And I don't mean tempura sushi or cooked crab California roll, I mean the real deal.

Comment

• Karon Adams
                          Karon Adams commented
                          Editing a comment
                          the only sushi I have ever had the 'opportunity' to try was of the fast food variety. definitely not something to do on a dare. but, I have always admired Morimoto. if I ever decide I REALLY want to try Sushi, that's how I'm doing it. I actually am starting a little sock drawer savings account for the purpose of going to really GREAT restaurants (none of which are located in ChattaVegas) and try some really great food. on my list is Morimotos. the tasting dinner is $150 per person. one of these days.

A quote from Meathead's 'how to make safe burgers' :

(2) Sterilize the meat. Food scientists say that if you dip a piece steak in boiling water (212°F) for 10 seconds before grinding it yourself, it is made safe. I have tried it, and although the exterior turns gray, it grinds well and makes fine flavorful rare patties. End quote..

The exterior will turn gray but the interior will be raw. I'm interested to try this myself.
                        Also an interesting article on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare

I also love sushi ... Did you know that in Japan some people also eat raw chicken?
                        just an example:

http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/co...g_raw_chicken/
                        http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/que...y.html?0+17250

You'd really need fresh chicken from a reputable source to pull that off.. Not for me it's too risky and raw chicken is probably horrible ( i wouldn't know )..I like to cook mine to safe internal temps.

Comment

raw chicken IS horrible, though the liver is kind of interesting when raw. yeah, tell a 6 year old to go kill the chicken for the family dinner. she's gonna experiment.

Comment

Sushi is not necessarily raw. Sashimi is always raw.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
                              Steve Vojtek commented
                              Editing a comment
                              My experience with sushi here in Australia is that most of it contains cooked seafood and meat eg: prawns - chicken vegetables etc.. It usually comes with a little soy sauce and wasabi. I did try raw salmon sushi or that's what they called it but i wasn't impressed. Too many stories going around of people getting food poisoning from raw sushi or sashimi - it scares me a little...

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          Rubs Promo
                          Meat-Up in Memphis