Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couple questions from a Weber noob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple questions from a Weber noob

I've only just started into this smoking business, got myself a 2015 Weber Master Touch to start with after trying out a portable last year for burgers/steaks and being impressed with charcoal cooking. I've done half a dozen or more pulled porks so far, all fair to excellent quality, whew! Did one batch of ribs that was amazing, another one not so much, but edible I suppose. The rest of my XP is all burgers and steaks so far this year! Got myself a Maverick dual probe for the last few cooks, and that's quite nice as well.

Background covered I think! Now I would like to try smoking one of the many beef roasts I have frozen here. (they've accumulated over the last year, sorry!) Specifically a beef shoulder roast I have googled around and seen others making it similar to pulled pork. It seems to be the same process, but I don't see any of the tested recipes here that have done something similar, just some general beef roast smoking stuff that presumes I wanna slice it rather than pull. Any experiences with this, and things I should look out for that might be different than the pork shoulder version?

edit: oops! I was also wondering if anyone knew of any products or homegrown solutions to provide more layers on my kettle to try and do some jerky on one side of it?
    Last edited by niall111; June 29, 2015, 05:55 PM.

How do you set up for 2 zone cooking? Use a PartyQ or equivalent? Smokenator or SnS? I am unclear by what you mean by "layers", Can you clarify?

Comment

Sorry, I should have been more clear! For 2 zone cooking, I'm either using the charcoal holders that came with the master touch, or just laying the coals on one side of the grill, and cooking on the other, managing temp via the air intake on the bottom.

The layers I'm talking about are some ability to smoke more than, I would say, a dozen little 1/4" slices of beef at 200F on one half of a 22" kettle? It came with a warming rack that gives a little more surface area, but not nearly enough for a whole sliced up round roast, I'd imagine.

Comment

Hi niall... Welcome Aboard

Comment

I am not sure why you are cooking meat in 1/4" strips. Meat is normally cooked then sliced. Much easier to manage the space issue. Have you used the reverse sear technique?

Comment

• The Burn
            The Burn commented
            Editing a comment
            He's doing jerky...

• FLBuckeye
            FLBuckeye commented
            Editing a comment
            D'oh! My reading skills need help

Niall, are you looking for something like the Hovergrill: http://www.amazon.com/Smokenator-HG-.../dp/B0038I9T6C ? (Of course, use the AR link before actually buying from Amazon)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis