Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aaron Franklin's Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaron Franklin's Book

I bought and have read "Franklin BBQ" and I recommend it. It's NOT a recipe book and some of his advice is specific to offset rigs of considerable size, which certainly doesn't apply to me and my Brinkmann Artoo Detoo, but his overall advice is quite broad and helpful. Perhaps the No. 1 lesson: buy quality meat, at least choice grade. Overall, many good insights from a pro.

BTW, I can make darn fine ribs, whole chicken, and pork butt on the Brinkmann (with electric burner--I got tired of charcoal), flimsy as it may be. Maybe someday I'll upgrade...

Check out the resources on page203.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Noted as I finished the book! Congrats!

I just read it. He wraps everything. Obviously he has super high quality brisket and delivers a consistent product. Frankly I think this website is a MUCH better place to get practical advice and recipes. I enjoyed learning about his path to barbecue. I don't count off points if you sound a little full of yourself...he deserves more of it than he claimed.

That said, I enjoyed Adam Perry Lang's first book a lot more.

Comment

@fracmeister: Yeah, he does wrap everything, something I've never done. And surely I agree that this site is a sterling resource. I liked the way the book was written as well, not sure how much credit Aaron gets for the actual verbiage, but I felt he came across as a very decent human being. I'd go out of my way to eat at his place.

Are you familiar with the book "Modernist Cuisine" (? or something close) that Franklin mentions?

Comment

He wraps everything but keep in mind he is cooking for a busy restaurant so time is a major factor. I don't wrap everything, either, but if I was trying to maximize throughput I certainly would

Comment

My favorite book of the year.

Comment

It is a good book. I'm going to read it again just in case I missed something the first time. 😊

Comment

My copy should arrive today or tomorrow. Thanks for posting this info!

--Ed

Comment

I'm going to have to check it out.

Comment

I very much enjoyed it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis