Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Injecting/basting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injecting/basting?

Trying a brisket today and thinking about injecting, then basting with a mixture of apple juice, water and some BBQ sauce, any thoughts?
    We tend to like our BBQ on the less seasoned side.
    TIA

Al

Personally, I think Apple juice is better with pork, so I would use a beef broth if I were to inject to better match the flavor profile, but that is all I would use.

Not sure why I would't use BBQ sauce - maybe just because I've not tried it.

Have you considered cutting it in half and doing a side by side test?

Hope you report back!

Comment

Baste it with beer, or beer, vinegar,water and some sauce/rub you can kinda just taste test it as you mix it, I honestly like 1 part of each

Comment

Originally posted by richinlbrg View Post
        Personally, I think Apple juice is better with pork, so I would use a beef broth if I were to inject to better match the flavor profile, but that is all I would use.

Not sure why I would't use BBQ sauce - maybe just because I've not tried it.

Have you considered cutting it in half and doing a side by side test?

Hope you report back!

Chances are we'll use most the brisket for sandwiches and we like to add a bit of BBQ sauce, just thinking it might be good adding while cooking.
        Maybe not..

Makes sense on the apple juice, will go with just a bit of beef broth, thanks.

Not to fond of beer on my BBQ, but may have to try cutting into two pieces and trying a milder beer, thanks

Al

Comment

Not much of a fruit with beef fan myself, I typically just use beef broth.

Comment

Ok, brisket doing well, I just used beef broth and we'll see what happins.. Another question, I'm doing trout on a Smoke vault 24" propane powered unit and at low setting I am still running about 190-200 degree's, trying for 160. I'm not sure if the three air shutters are suppose to help control heat and the instructions don't mention anything about them. Anybody?? TIA Al

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              I wouldn't go any lower than that. Propane has high BTU's compared to Natural Gas, doesn't take much to get some good heat. In fact, running too low you can have problems with it going out.

• Medusa
              Medusa commented
              Editing a comment
              I've only done 1 brisket on the kettle. Followed MH's recipe and believe I injected with beef broth and maybe crutched it with beef broth.

I'm sure your's will be good, especially for sammiches!

--Ed

I wasn't to sure as to what temps were ok for trout, never smoked it before and a search came up with 160, I have the door just slightly ajar and between that and the rain, temps are close to that 160.
            Thanks.

Al

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis