Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Separate the Men from the Boys-OR the Young from the Old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Separate the Men from the Boys-OR the Young from the Old?

Got to reminiscing a little this morning back to my younger days.
    Pretty much the deal was if you were looking for me head to the nearest bar.
    I spent a LOT of time just setting and soaking in atmosphere and munching bar snacks.
    Does anyone still eat
    Pickled turkey gizzards?
    Pickled Pigs Feet?
    Pickled Eggs?
    Pickled sausage?
    It's been a while since I've imbibed and kind of wondering if those tasty treats are still offered?

Never indulged in any of those. Ate lots of pigs feet at meals, but never pickled. I spent plenty of time in bars though, just drinking lol

Comment

Have not had any of your options above in at least 5 years.
      However in the past 18 months I know I have had at least 2 Souse Sandwiches and the obligatory bet with a Navy buddy that I could not eat a Balut. They always forget I was born in the PI and lived there for quite sometime too include graduating from Wagner High.

Comment

I got pickled in the pub.

Comment

No to all of those, only 3 things I like pickled... cucumbers, jalapenos, and ginger

Comment

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            NOTHING better than chewing the gristle and fat off of a pickled pigs foot.

Growing up in my family we were taught early that vinegar was one of the major food groups, so yes to everything still today except the turkey gizzards which I hadn’t heard of before. Now I’m hungry for some pickled herring.

Comment

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            MAN I forgot the pickled herring.
            Good call right there.

Years ago ate pickled eggs and onions.

Comment

My grandfather and grandmother always had pickled pigs feet around and I loved it. I make my own pickled eggs but I use the remaining juice from a large jar of jalapenos. As others have mentioned, I did spend a chunk of time in bars, getting pickled myself.

Comment

I enjoy pickled eggs, carrots, bologna/red hots, herring, jalapenos, banana peppers..not sure about whether they're in bars or not.

Comment

As one of the resident youths, I believe that those are only served as “artisanal” in the hipster joints. The places I frequent stick to popcorn haha

Comment

• Cheef
                  Cheef commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As near as I can remember the joints I visited definitely were NOT artisanal!.
                  Weekends back then were spent in redneck bars.
                  Stick in the ear ring, put on the Jesus shoes, (sandals) untuck the hair out of the hat and the feed lot cowboys viewed us as a direct insult to their Moms memories. I was kind of scrappy back then.

I’ve made pickled eggs, Meathead’s recipe. They were delicious, but I didn’t crave them like I used to. I’d only eat them when I remembered they were there.

I used to eat pickled pigs feet, when I was a kid my grandfather usually had a jar of them. I thought they were pretty good. Haven’t had them in probably 60 years.

I’ve had pickled sausage, but I can’t remember when. It was good, but sausage doesn’t need to be pickled.

Comment

Still indulge about every other month and buy a gallon of pickled pig knuckles. These were a mainstay along with PP feet when i was growing up.

Comment

Pickled eggs and iced cold draft beer at the Islington House or Lambton Tavern.
                    I miss the old mens rooms, drink draft all night for a $20 toss down a coupla eggs every so often.
                    Well, maybe I don`t miss them so much, the next morning was kinda raunchy.

Comment

It's been awhile on the pickled pigs feet for me. My wife still tells a story of me and her mother grossing everyone else out eating pickled pigs feet. I still make pickled eggs. My favorite are pickled in the leftover juice from home made pickled beets. I have never heard of the pickled gizzards.

Comment

Pickled sausages are my guilty pleasure and you can buy them at every convenience store on every corner here in the south.

Comment

• holehogg
                          holehogg commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Do you have a recipe or can you recommended one? This is something I'm keen to try.

• hoovarmin
                          hoovarmin commented
                          Editing a comment
                          holehogg I do not, I just buy them when I pick up beer at the convenience store.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      Rubs Promo
                      Meat-Up in Memphis