Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Four Butts in the Hasty-Bake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four Butts in the Hasty-Bake

Yes, you can indeed fit four large pork butts in there. Pretty easily, actually. I could get two more in.

Our neighbor's daughter is having her birthday and HS graduation party tomorrow. I'm cooking for them. Doing the pork butts today for re-heating tomorrow.

Hasty Bakes are great grilling and smoking rigs. I don't own one yet. Yet being the key word there.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I've had mine for five years now. Great rig. Love it. Highly recommend it.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      The amazing feature they developed in 1952 was the ability to lift or lower your hot coal closer to or farther away from your meat. That's the perfect setup for the reverse sear. Very few BBQ manufacture's have copied that great feature. Why? I have no clue why they let Hasty Bake be the only one utilizing that to their advantage.

I bet you grill all of your steaks on that grill... Right?

I do everything on it. Including great steaks, ribs, pork butt, brisket, rib roast, turkey, chicken, salmon ..... have a rotisserie for the rib roast and turkey :-)

Between the Hasty-Bake and Meathead, I have got my Tri-Tip dialed in to be about as good as anything you can get in Santa Maria, actually.

Comment

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful! --Ed

Good looking Butts!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      stop looking at my .... errrr, thanks!

I get 'em at Costco. They cut the bone out and sell 2 in a cryovac. Each one runs 7-8 pounds, typically.
      Last edited by ecowper; June 26, 2015, 02:25 PM.

• carolts
      carolts commented
      Editing a comment
      I can definitely vouch for the Costco pork butts!

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      heh heh!

Ya Costco... The best!

And here is the outcome after 11 hours. Average grill temp was 250. Was a hot day in Washington, also - roughly 85. The temps on the pork butts were 199, 199, 202, 203.

The neighbors provided most of the sauces, but asked me to bring some mustard sauce. I made my version of Meathead's Carolina Gold. Only real difference is that I use 1 tsp of Cholula hot sauce instead of the original 1/2 tsp in the recipe and I split the sugar 50/50 between granulated and brown sugar. I like a bit of molasses flavor and a bit more heat.

My wife says they were the best I've yet done. Tons of compliments at the party as well. Everybody wanted the mustard sauce recipe. I pointed people to Amazing Ribs, of course. :-)

Comment

That looks awesome. Jealous of your hasty-bake....maybe some day..

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        It is the greatest grill I've ever owned. I've had it for 5 years now and I'm pretty sure I will have it for the rest of my life. I may add a WSM or UDS to the mix just for being able to do things like brisket overnight. But the Hasty-Bake is the greatest investment I ever made. Thank goodness I have a wife who can manage the household finances to enable me to be able to get it. :-)

Maillard Majesty!!!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        The bark was fantastic. I used Meathead's Memphis Dust with one modification. I added 1 tsp of cayenne pepper to the recipe. I really like the bit of heat it adds.

Those are killer butts for sure!

Comment

Fantastic cook! Love my Hasty Bake!

Comment

I like your pork butts... I can not lie!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis