Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your cooking area look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all. I've searched through the forum and haven't found this topic, but if I missed it somewhere and this is already talked about somewhere I apologize. I own the end unit of a town house, so my back yard isn't exactly massive, but larger than the neighbors. I have a small cement slab outback for a "patio", which is barely big enough to get an outdoor furniture set on. I'm looking to build a deck/pit area and am looking for some ideas. My gasser is rather large, and I have a Pit Barrel, which doesn't have a large footprint. I was watching Pitmasters All-Stars last night and I kinda like the shanty things they have to cook in.

Does anyone here have a nice outdoor cooking area they'd like to share pictures of? Anyone versed in the art of design that wouldn't mind helping me cook up a plan to build something?

I don't know if this will help, but when I first joined, I posted a thread about the DIY Grill Cart I made based on plans I found online at Popular Mechanics.

You've perfected your grilling technique. You've mastered the marinade. Now take your outdoor culinary skills to the next level by building our red cedar cookout cart. It's the perfect mobile staging area for storing and preparing food.

Comment

Mine looks like this:

We have a patio with a table and small gasser on it. Any other cooking gets done on the lawn. We're having a party for about 35 people next week, I am going to set up and area with a small awning to cook under.

Comment

A mess... too many cookers for the space. I am not complaining, really... I am not!

Comment

• Medusa
          Medusa commented
          Editing a comment
          "a mess..." smarkley, you got my line - LOL! --Ed

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Those were the words that popped right into my mind, too!

yes, mine is pretty cramped. I have my drum smoker, it sits up on a couple of courses of cinder blocks. that allows air to circulate under and prevents the drum sitting in moisture and rusting out the bottom. it also brings the edge of the drum to a height that doesn't break your back when you're going in and out. My old propane sits next to it. eventually I'm going to get rid of it but HWMO hasn't gotten to it, yet. and the side eye still operates and he prefers using it in the summer than heating the kitchen. Also under our shed/overhang are my Beekeeping gear, a large planting container that holds a bail of pine straw for the smoker. Another drum which contains Denver's grain for beer and sitting on top of that drum is my kitchen sink, which I eventually want to make into a cross pass smoker. Sharing a corner is the worm composter and a constant bucket of worm leachate fermenting on an ongoing basis. We have 2 apple trees two pears and two fruit cocktail trees just planted this year, 9 kiwis that are in their second year, 2 massive pecans that have played out 2 apples that have played out, 8 cherry bushes and an older pear tree, fig tree and mulberry tree.

So, everything that lives in my backyard supports my urban garden in one way or another.

and my roses were destroyed.

Comment

Here's what I keep all my charcoal cooker loot in...

In practice, it has been rotated 90 degrees and the kettle sits next to it ( in front of the rail on the left ).

Pretty cool that #1 let me put this and a kettle on the front porch. "... I'm grillin' in the rain, just grillin' in the rain..."

Gasser's on the back deck extension.

--Ed
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Chest_v1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	92750
          Last edited by Medusa; June 26, 2015, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I have a decent sized deck that easily holds all 6 of my cookers and my BBQ dedicated cabinet Click image for larger version

Name:	P3310290.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	92781

Comment

On the patio...

Comment

For a relatively inexpensive and highly portable work area, try one of these. A garden hose and a bucket gives you some wash up capability. Use a hose made for potable water and you can drink it and use it for cooking. It stores flat if you remove the faucet, so it doesn't take up much permanent space.

I use mine quite a bit. Typically, I will put a full sheet tray on top for hot foods, or a cutting board if needed. The top is designed to be a cutting board, but it gets gashed pretty easily.

Mine came from Cabela's, this company has one for $80 shipped.

http://www.kotulas.com/deals/Product...b&devicetype=c

I would like to do something permanent, but don't plan to stay in this house that long.

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is one nice item. I'm gonna get one.

• Medusa
                  Medusa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pretty Clever!

To the OP, for some quick ideas or even a kit, take a look here. Not sure what you have in you area but even the pics should give you some ideas.

http://www.lowes.com/Patio-Furniture...10675560_4_pl#!

Comment

This is the design I would like to build. The open cupola on the roof allows heat and smoke to get up and out. You could hang a small ceiling fan in there too to assist, or just move air on a hot day. A lot of people don't realize that a ceiling fan is one of the best bug deterrents you'll ever find. For my purposes, an 8 x 8 or 10 x 10 roof would be perfect. I would build it low, about 7' of head clearance to the eave to help keep sun and rain on the inside to a minimum.

You'd need to be handy with a circular saw. If you don't know how to cut a rafter you could probably find info on you tube, or even hire someone to make your templates.

Comment

• Medusa
                    Medusa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I want it!

Mine looks like this:

Comment

• Usernamevalid
                    Usernamevalid commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's pretty badass!

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice... Very nice.

• BBQ Tim
                    BBQ Tim commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very chic

So, y'all are all invited to the party on SEC kickoff day this fall. Football, adult beverages, Q, and whatever sides the ladies come up with, jumpy things for the kids and the best part....I don't have to drive home.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis