Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oven Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oven Question

I don't play with the indoor oven much, and I'm a little embarrassed to ask this, but what is the difference between "convection bake" and "convection roast?" We have a GE Cafe gas range, if that helps.

Usually convection bake only uses the heating elements while convection roast also cycles the broiler element so heat is applied from two sides.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      That make sense. Thanks, Donw

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs...ing%20roasting.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Good deal, thanks bro.

My oven just turned 70 so I can't help you with all these new fangled gimmicky ovens.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Geez, we just brought a Samsung stove, figure I'll be extremely lucky if it lasts 7 years.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Hope their stoves are better than their fridges. I have some friends that barely made it a year with their Samsung fridge and then had the repairman out at least twice.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      smokin fool and 58limited I will never buy another GE product as long as I live. I bought the Cafe range and the Cafe refrigerator. $7k worth of contant disappointment. What I learned is that if you aren't going to buy commercial grade then don't bother getting the highest end of the home line. Not worth it. Also, they have too many electronics and those things are completely unreliable.

In contrast, a regular bake does not use a fan . In a standard oven, the hot air fills the oven cavity without circulating, which can create hot and cool spots. When your oven is cooking in convection bake mode, the air in the oven is circulated by a fan, which eliminates "hot spots" and cooks the food much faster.
    I googled it so now we both Know. LOL

Comment

Often there is no real difference in how the oven actually cooks, but having two settings allows you to have different presets for time and temp.

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        That's interesting. But by the time I figure out how to make us of that, given my technological limitations, it will be time for a new range.

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        Usually you don't have to "do" anything. Most often it will remember your last setting. The idea is that when you convection roast a chicken you do it for say 1 hour at 400F. You might convection bake bread at 375F for 35 minutes. If you only do these two foods, you don't have to remember the settings for each, just that you used convection roast for chicken and convection bake for the bread.

Wait! I have a question. What's an oven?

Comment

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        Pellet grill that works without pellets.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Pot Bellyed stove, with a vacancy, I'd haveta reckon...

We have the save oven. I use convection bake 80% of the time. I generally use “convection roast when something is uncovered and Cooked relatively quickly.

one pan chickens n such are roast.

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        That's how I used it today with the gochujang chicken. First time ever using the convection roast, but definitely not the last.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo
    Meat-Up in Memphis