Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Stent By Any Other Name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Stent By Any Other Name...

I wasn't sure if I wanted to share this, but after reading Dewesq55 's thread about his router mishap, well, I thought I'd share my own misadventure that happened last Tuesday.

Some of you may know that I had a heart attack about 11 years ago and received 3 stents for my trouble. I had a great outcome and continued my life and career normally. Fast forward to last Tuesday and as I'm walking out to my workshop I felt this very familiar heartburn start to grow in my throat. CRAP, NOT AGAIN! Well, after a few minutes of denial and another few minutes of bargaining I hopped in the truck and drove the 4 miles to our local hospital, hoping against hope that really was just a GI issue.

Nope, about 2 hours later I had a good old fashioned S-T Elevation Myocardial Infarction (STEMI). Huskee it was a beautiful 12 lead presentation!! LSS, I was well cared for in the ER, transported to Redding and got a stent to fix a failed one. I spent the night in the ICU, felt great in the morning, was discharged at noon and home by 1:30.

I feel great right now and will make all of the necessary lifestyle and diet adjustments. I'm going to miss my stogies, martinis and ribeyes, but I ain't changing my avatar Donw !

So, my link to Dewesq55's story is when I shot a text to all of my FD boys letting them know what happened. Their responses were of a similar nature and had me laughing so hard at the "love" they were sending I thought I was going to have another heart attack!!

Now for the PSA: In both instances I recognized early that I was having an unusual physical/medical issue. The first time I could not pin down what was wrong, just that something was very wrong. It also baffled the ER docs as well until it FINALLY showed up in the EKG very far along in the process. This time I knew exactly what was happening and had to push the ER doc hard in that direction. The key to me not only surviving both episodes, but ending up with virtually no heart muscle damage, was early recognition and getting my butt to an ER. Pleasepleaseplease, make an effort to understand the signs and symptoms of a heart attack or stroke and if you ever start to experience them to just get yourself immediately checked out. Time lost is muscle lost.

And just in case anyone is wondering, hell no I'm not cancelling my LSG order!!!
    Last edited by CaptainMike; October 17, 2020, 02:15 PM.

I am so glad that this went well CaptainMike

Comment

So glad that ya came out this side of such an experience, Cap'n...

Wantin to see yerself, an that new LSG around, fer long many years to come, Brother!

Comment

Real glad to hear you did the right thing and took yourself to an ER. Now stay smart and healthy and let us know when the LSG arrives!

Comment

Very glad that you made it through these events and are here with us and in good condition. Very sorry for your martini and stogie loss :-( ..... hey, no ribeyes, but you can replace with salmon and halibut! And some of my drunken Texas beans :-)

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            <felt a ripple in th Force>

Beans? Drunken Beans??

I might could conceivably do summa dem, Brother...lol...
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 17, 2020, 03:31 PM.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones I just so happen to have some beans cooking right now. Imagine that!

Kathy’s and my best wishes to you. However, we both have an important question. What are you building in the workshop? 🙂

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            I was going for some cob that we toss for the 7 blacktail bucks/moochers that hit us up for a handout every morning.

Glad you’re doing well, Mike.

Comment

Glad you were aware enough to catch it and act on it. It's real easy for us to just buck up and man through it. I know I'm guilty of that plenty.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, this isn't one you want to let ride. I have seen some very bad outcomes from folks who have done so.

Glad you were smart enough to head right for the hospital! I recently had the stent experience myself. Got 4 of those babies.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Quite the experience, my fellow stentonian!!

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Fortunately my problem was found during a scheduled appointment for the catheterization. No rushing to the ER.

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              I can guarantee your way is waaaay more "fun".

I'm glad you are doing well Mike. I hope the "cost" of losing some of your favorites doesn't way too heavy on you...

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              I really enjoyed my stogies, but in all actuality I can take or leave them. The diet will just need to be a more conscientious approach. It helps that we had a great garden this year and we have put up a lot.

Just sayin, wibeyes have little effect on the heart, I did say little not no. The stogies & the booze, that’s another story. Ya did good there fella. It is strange when you can “feel” yer heart or ya know the ticker is havin somethin to say. Lookin forward to the LSG.
            As far as the avatar, that’s movie star worthy, yessir you keep it.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Wibeyes, stogies, and martinis in moderation? Is such a thing possible?

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh yeah brother FireMan, wibeyes, and wibs for that matter, aren't disappearing from the menu, just maybe not featured as often. Life is for living, not enduring!

Good to hear you're doing well! This is a good warning for all of us. I'm also glad you are Not Cancelling the LSG.

Comment

So glad you took the right actions. Enjoy that LSG!

Comment

Wow Mike. Sooo glad you’re ok. I’m sure you’re background has a lot to do with you still being with us. 🙏🏻
                As far as your LSG order. Definitely add the counter weight for the lid. Trust me on this one. 👍👊👊

Comment

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have been thinking about that, thanks for the nudge(s).

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And don't be trying to move it around on your own!

I’m glad - so glad - you are OK. Time to ski regularly at Mt Shasta! I’m in if you are.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Funny, I have skied here for 20 years or more, but not one time in the 7 years we've lived here. Let's make a date, snow or now snow!!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis