Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Got Lucky. Be Careful With Power Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy mother of pearl. You certainly were lucky! Really glad to hear you're all right.

I had a run-in with a lathe when I was in 7th grade. The shop teacher was just waiting for this -- he bandaged my hand, then powered-down every machine in the shop and gave us a lecture about safety and first aid, complete with photos of injuries in previous classes. I have a small scar on my left thumb, but the bigger scar is in my memory from those photos. The stuff ya'll have been through is really scary!

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      We had to watch some nasty accident movies before we could use any powered machines.

One, the safety glasses one, was so bad we had to sit on the floor because some would pass out.

Did you review your safety protocol? Applicable guards in place? Were you wearing the appropriate PPE, including safety glasses? Did you report your injury to management? Was this a first aide incident or OSHA recordable?

Ha, ha just kidding. I've worked in the Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) field for over 30 years. Your little incident would have created a mound of paperwork, safety awareness training an accident investigation and possibly you might have been reprimanded. Ah industry.......

Funny story, I took machine guarding training once and the teacher was missing 2 fingers. Yes, he lost them because he did not put the appropriate guards in place. Talk about having the attention of your class and drawing from real experience.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      My dad hired a guy with a mechanical engineering degree but only sales experience back in the 90's. First job he gave him was updating all their metal working equipment - lots of which dated back to the 1920's, to meet current OSHA standards. After training, and while installing the safety gear that yanked your hands back as the press came down, the dude lost all his finger tips on one hand while running a press.

Sad, but he had to be let go once he went through his short term disability.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris. I worked for 25+ years in Aerospace. We had a pre-fab shop over in another building. Man the stories I could tell.

I just did the same thing on my index finger a few weeks ago. Identical only I did it with my 10” Wustoff Chef knife hurrying through iceberg for shredded lettuce.

I was looking left and going right.... oops.

I literally went through the nail and only by a hair broke skin. Took a couple minutes to bleed. Then it didn’t stop. Healed up nicely.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Main, glad ya skinnied outta that one without too much damage!!!!

Btdt, too dang dang many times, Rush, Pressure, etc.; ya know th deal, Amigo

As I set her in my (kitchen puter) chair, I counted 35+ kitchen knives within visual range lol...

We don't wanna go open no drawers, lol

Bad thing is, I sharpen straight razours, wood chisels, etc, so...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 16, 2020, 11:44 PM.

Y'ouch!!!! Jeez, not much worse than losing a chunka nail having lost many chunksa my nails.
    I don't know how many yards of thread I've had to stitch me back together.
    Tonight at approx 18:24 my latest wound skinning the back off my hand pulling a mud flap hanger bracket out of the suspension of my tractor after I bent the crap outta it. Yeesh.

Comment

That should buff right out.

Comment

Jeez, you folks are great. I'm really glad I started this thread. Makes me feel (slightly) less idiotic.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          From where I set, Brother, that's only 'mildly competitive', lol

I'm glad you weren't seriously injured but, Twenty comments and no Monty Python references yet? That is showing restraint y'all.

Comment

The fun part will be as it heals. How many time with that “edge” get caught on your pant pocket, dish towel, socks and shirt etc...

Fun time!!
          Last edited by HouseHomey; October 17, 2020, 04:09 AM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            A chunk missing like that will take years............

Over the years you think of all of the times you use power tools and consider yourself lucky. Most times things like this seem to happen when we know better. Glad it was no worse and you can keep moving on your project.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly! Clean up the blood and start cuttin wood! We're waiting for more pictures!
            Last edited by HawkerXP; October 17, 2020, 11:40 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis