Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Got Lucky. Be Careful With Power Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Got Lucky. Be Careful With Power Tools

I had a run in with a router bit while working on the deck yesterday. I was extremely lucky that I only lost a bit of the nail on my non-dominant thumb. I can't even say with any detail what happened. Just an object lesson to be very careful, which I generally am.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201016_152554958-01.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	924546

OUCH!!!!

Glad it wasn't worse, I'm sure it hurts PLENTY, as is!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 16, 2020, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. It's funny, but when it first happened, It didn't hurt at all. It was bleeding quite a bit, probably due to the blood thinners I take, but no pain. Last evening, though, it started to throb. Today it's tender, but manageable.
      Last edited by Dewesq55; October 16, 2020, 12:27 PM.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones - my thoughts exactly. Looking at the skin under a nail exposed gives me the "ouch - that stings terribly" flashbacks.
      Last edited by tbob4; October 16, 2020, 05:45 PM.

I second that. I had a run in with my table saw about three years ago. Long story short, I did something really dumb and careless that I knew better of. I came within a few millimeters of losing two fingers. Instead just some stitches, a little pain, and wounded pride. Be Careful!!!

Comment

Thanks for the reminder. I'm glad it wasn't worse. My wife celebrated the day I gave my electric chop/miter saw and reciprocating saw to my son. I had to admit that I was probably too old to be playing with those toys, especially since I didn't use them often enough to stay proficient.

Comment

The power of a router is no joke. Glad you still have 2 full thumbs.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Me, too 😁👍👍

Yup, there was a time when we wuz kids, we garnered together some gun powder. The source was a few fire crackers, including an M-80 & a bunch of caps. Well, we wanted to send up a rocket, yessir. We got some sorta metal tube about the size of a stogie & filled the bottom with the powder. Devised a cone & we wuz ready fer business, with fuse & all. Set it up in my buddies garage with a sturdy piece of string on it. The three of us all got around it & lit the fuse. There was more than a pop, it was quite the explosion. The string never moved & the rocket was gone. A couple of days later my buddie noticed a hole in the steel garage door. Yup, be careful.
        Last edited by FireMan; October 16, 2020, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          They did manage to assemble the ingredients. They weren't hurt in the explosion, but they did take out one end of his buddy's front porch.

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          Today you guys would be labeled domestic terrorists.
          My personal choice was oxygen and acetylene in a full size garbage bag. Toilet paper fuse.

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          I did the rocket in a tube thing also. But I was the dumb s**t that held the tube at launch angle. BOOM. Almost blew my hand off. About 55 years later, I still look at the huge scar on the palm of my hand and shake my head at what an idoit I was and how lucky I am to have a hand ther. 🙄

I just cringe looking at that one!
        Superglue wouldn't be much help here!

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope. Yesterday I had a big gauze pad wrapped in tape covering the whole thumb. Today I just have a normal bandaid on it.

That was close...

Glad to hear you're OK.

K.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Kathryn.

Yowzer! 👎🏼

Comment

My grandfather, who I learned a lot of my woodworking from, spent the last 15 years of his life missing an index finger and the tip of his thumb from a tablesaw accident (the saw is at my Dad's still). Grandpa is who taught me safety (I use push sticks that he made today) and still hit a knot and had the piece jump on him. I won't even get into the stupid tool stuff my Dad has done...I always emphasize safety, and still know that something could go wrong. Glad it wasn't any worse for you!

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Cheef - that made me cringe big time. Ugh!!!

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            It was the damndest thing. We thought he was joking. He was actually a pretty knowledgeable gu-good with his hands.

• Dan Deter
            Dan Deter commented
            Editing a comment
            Day-umm. My wife would probably just get rid of me if I repeated it like that!

You should mark the spot where it happened and put a memorial to your thumbnail!

Comment

I'm glad it wasn't worse. I had a run in with a table saw about 40 years ago, but managed to keep all my fingers, and I even have the feeling in those two fingers back now...

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. I'm glad, too. I'm also glad your accident wasn't worse.

Yikes! Duct tape that puppy up.

Comment

I'm just relieved there aren't more pics here that I can't unsee. Thanks for the reminder, and glad it was just a minor injury.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. Is like to think I have the good sense not to post anything excessively gruesome here. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time a I've made an impulsive mistake.

I did some woodworking this past weekend, and while I am always careful and use push sticks with the table saw, usually just run the wood through the router table without one. Thankfully the edge being routed is against the fence, and the piece is usually large enough to where my hands don't get in there under the guard and near the router bit. I did have some pine I was routing an edge on grab and want to jump several times. If I had been pushing the end through with my fingers near the routed edge, I am sure I would have regretted it.

I've been lucky with power tools, but at work a few years ago, had used a pocket knife to open something in the conference room, and violated every rule I taught my son and his friends in Cub Scouts, by closing it one handed. It had a very sharp blade, and took off one of my finger tips as it closed. After a trip to the ER to get the tip of my finger stitched closed, I always use 2 hands when closing folding knives! I still have no feeling in that finger tip, 5-6 years later.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis