Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anova

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anova

it will arrive today! My Father's Day gift will arrive!! What would you recommend I cook first? PS, I tried a meat pie of my Corned Beef, to make a Reuben meat pie. Yeah, don't do that. not without some modifications.

Start with a steak. Shoot for about 10 degrees below your desired degree of doneness and then a quick reverse sear.

Comment

Good for you!

Comment

Mine came recently too, and I'd definitely recommend steak.

I've done ribeye vs 2 cheaper cuts that were less than half the price, and all have been delicious.

For steak I've done some research but am still experimenting. Anything up to 4 hours in the water bath is good, but after 4 and it's said the meat can get mushy.

For steak an inch thick, 1 hour at your desired temp is fine and that time goes up to about 3 hours for a steak 2 inches thick. 130-131 is recommended to kill off naughty bacteria, but I am personally dropping down a few degrees to further my experiments with a JUST barely medium rare steak.

Pat dry before and after bagging and give it a nice sear at the end. Eveything has been wonderfully beefy but I do want to get some smoke flavor into the fat somehow. I'd either sear over a bit of woodsmoke, or I may try and hang it in my PBC for a bit to collect some particles before bagging.

I am still experimenting with a dry brine vs just seasoning with S+P right before bagging.

Enjoy!

Comment

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          remember, if you are dealing with a solid piece of meat, the chances of baddies goes down. the only place you will see those baddies is on the surface. if you are dealing with ground meat, the baddies can have travelled all over the place. but, if you have a single cut of meat, the baddies remain on the outside and you can kill them with the sear. Looks like I won't be able to eat them till tomorrow so, I'll have HWMO bring home some steaks and that will be dinner tomorrow night.

I just recently got one of these as well, and have done a couple of 1 1/2" New Yorks, salmon, and hard boiled eggs. All have been amazing, including the eggs! And all were easy... although now I want a torch for searing! I included some pics of the steak.

Comment

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          I HAVE a torch. that does sound like a great idea. I have a lovely Crème Brule torch. and that would allow a torch sear without causing a heating of the surface layers of the meat. that sounds amazing!! Ok, do you put salt on the steak and in the bag when you toss it in? or just the nekkid meat?

• mayapoppa
          mayapoppa commented
          Editing a comment
          I salted the meat about an hour before cooking... with some pepper, I think. BTW, ChefSteps.com is a great resource for sous vide. They seem to love it over there.

I can just see it now. edge to edge, PERFECT temp for the steak, and a nice, brown, crispy sear on the outside. oh, man I am drooling already!! I'll bet you could also toss some potatoes in a bag and they could go in the water with the steak to cook and all come out together, perfect and yummy. Might put the plate in the oven before serving to get that bit o sizzle. Oh, this is gonna be FUN!

OK, question. for, say, corned beef (cause we just did one last week) would you cook it in the bag the whole time, no liquid in the bag with it? I am assuming that you would definitely rinse and maybe even desalinate before cooking that since there won't be braising liquid to carry away the salt.

Comment

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          I do corned beef SV all the time. Desalinate over night. Then bag with the spice pack and no liquid. Cook at 180f for 8 hours. Be sure to weight the bag as it will puff up due to out gassing of the liquid that is released from the meat. Prior to serving I take that liquid and microwave it with the cabbage.

Fire department Please stand by 😊

Comment

Go with eggs at 167 degrees for 14 minutes (they don't peel, they just slide out of the shell). It a cross between a perfect sunny side up and a soft boiled egg. Makes me tear up with joy.
          Then do steak. Cook it to your desired serving temp, get the grill hell hot, take the meat out of the bag, dry it thoroughly and assault it on the grill. Only takes seconds to crust.
          Torch is cool, looks cool torching the meat BUT it brings nothing to the taste table.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
            Go with eggs at 167 degrees for 14 minutes (they don't peel, they just slide out of the shell). It a cross between a perfect sunny side up and a soft boiled egg. Makes me tear up with joy.
            Then do steak. Cook it to your desired serving temp, get the grill hell hot, take the meat out of the bag, dry it thoroughly and assault it on the grill. Only takes seconds to crust.
            Torch is cool, looks cool torching the meat BUT it brings nothing to the taste table.
            I tear up in joy when a perfect rack of ribs comes out of the SMOKER
            Last edited by DWCowles; July 1, 2015, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Well, I made Steak, yesterday and it was nearly a religious experience! As usual, I was not able to eat it all so I have leftover steak in the fridge for cold steak sammiches. I cannot believe how perfect that steak was. Of course, all of this is causing a REAL problem. I will NEVER be able to afford a restaurant at which I would be willing to eat. My standards are becoming FAR too expensive.

Comment

• Cidergregg
                Cidergregg commented
                Editing a comment
                Techniques, temps, and times please?

• Karon Adams
                Karon Adams commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh, super simple. Smoke salt & cracked pepper, small bit of garlic. vacuumed in bag. tossed in at 130 degrees for 90 minutes, pulled and seared in hothothot cast iron, enjoyed.

and for your viewing pleasure Click image for larger version

Name:	perfect bite.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	92665

Comment

Restaurants are indeed becoming an issue. I keep up winding up dissapointed when I KNOW I can cook tastier food than half the places serve me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis