Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you wrap your meat for the freezer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you wrap your meat for the freezer.

If I have ribs or a brisket that are in Cryovac, I just throw them in the freezer. But if I buy pork butt from the grocery, it often comes in a couple of 3-4lb pieces set on styrofoam and wrapped in plastic wrap. I want to separate the two and wrap each individually for separate future cooks. What is the best way to wrap them (uncooked) for the freezer? I am guessing some combination of plastic wrap, aluminum foil, and/or Ziploc bag.

Also, what is the maximum time you recommend keeping meat in the freezer before use? Is it different for Cryovac vs. meat you have wrapped yourself?

I don't have one of those vacuum sealers.

I used the FoodSaver unit and bags. Works great.

Comment

Another vote for food saver, really stores a lot better that way and makes for easy reheating. I actually buy ground beef at Sam's at about half what I normally pay and cook up 5-6 pounds at a time, season a pound or two with taco seasoning and seal em up. Good way to justify the cost, you just warm em up and you can have dinner pretty quick with one less pan. I always keep a few pounds in reserve too, never know when guests will show up or bad weather keeps you out of the store.

Comment

Here's a link to an article on this site.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...over_ribs.html

However, I've been using a foodsaver for years and will swear by it. Had a pork loin in the freezer for well over 6 months and it looked just as pretty as the day I bought it.

It will pay for itself over time. I like to by big pork loins and New York Strip roasts, cut 'em down to the size I want, and foodsaver them. Meals for months!

Plus, you can foodsaver your pulled pork and other stuff, put it in a water bath right outta the freezer and have a tasty meal pretty quickly.

--Ed

Comment

• Medusa
          Medusa commented
          Editing a comment
          Split 15 lbs of Ribeye with a guy at Kroger yesterday. Cost was $6.99 / lb!

Any particular model of Foodsaver that you recommend?

Comment

I've got the big Food Saver 4860 and love it. Before I had an entry-level Food Saver, though, and used it regularly for over 10 years before it died. This time I decided to go fancy. It's $200 cheaper at Bed Bath and Beyond than on Amazon. One or the other price must be wrong. I bought mine at Kitchen and Company.

I shrink wrap almost everything that I put into my freezers.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; June 23, 2015, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Kathryn. Do you see any big pros/cons of a manual vs. automatic FoodSaver?

Comment

I 3rd or 4th or 5th, the Foodsaver. We were cleaning out bins in the storage area for a garage sale, and we found our foodsaver. I thought it had died. I don't have bags anymore so i haven't tried it on vacuum sealing yet, but it did reseal the bag of potato chips, so at least i know the element works.

Comment

I have 1 similar to Kathyrn's. Doesn't have the pulse/vac feature, but has the accessory ( for fresh saver resealable bags ) and the marinator. Bought the marinator container, like it, but don't use it much. The higher end foodsavers come with a 5 yr warranty.

I kept meats, cheeses, etc. in freshsaver bags in the reefer for months. Also foodsavered 2 ham bones and they kept in the fridge for months.

I buy the foodsaver rolls and freshsaver bags, but below is a link to bulk bags that I buy @ ludicrous good deal. Pre-sealed gallon bags are great!

We got ours at Khols. I was going to get the $99.00, but #1 said I would be a fool if I didn't get the high end. ( Thank you #1 ). We got $40.00 instant Khols cash, too!

Hands down, this is one of the best investments we made for our kitchen arsenal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

--Ed
                Last edited by Medusa; June 24, 2015, 04:55 AM.

Comment

I've got the 4860 as well. Picked it up at Walmart. No freezer burn was the goal and it's exceeded our expectations. Even my husband thinks it was a good purchase, and he generally rolls his eyes at my kitchen purchases.

Comment

Thanks for all the inputs. I have a FoodSaver on the way.

Comment

• Medusa
                      Medusa commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You'll be very, very happy!

• Munch
                      Munch commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I use these with mine... They are too big for the roll holder but I just seal an end, then cut, fill, and seal. Cheaper and of high quality.
                      http://www.amazon.com/FoodVacBags-Co...ds=foodvacbags
                      Last edited by Munch; July 9, 2015, 05:54 PM.

One thing to remember is that you will need to cut the bags long enough to allow sufficient excess for the sealer to work properly. We use the 11 inch rolls, and cut them at the 3rd hash mark. Works great for 1 - 1 1/4 lb ground meats. Of course you can cut any size bag you need.

The other important trick. Fold the open end of the bag over on itself to form a 1-2 inch lip. This prevents meat juices, etc getting on the part of the bag that goes into the sealer.

Sometimes the sealer can be a little finicky, but practice makes perfect. If you don't complete the vacuuming process in 30 seconds or less, all you need to do is Cancel and retry.

You'll hear this baby "kick in" when it vacuums. Awesome device!

--Ed

Comment

If it's for something that I know I'll be using in the next couple weeks I'll use Glad freezer bags. For stuff I expect to keep for longer than that I use the Foodsaver.

Comment

Thanks to all who recommended the FoodSaver. Love it. Have used it for sausage, carrots, sauerkraut, brisket, and beans. Now we need to make sure we eat all the food we are putting in the freezer.

Comment

• Medusa
                          Medusa commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good for you!

Food Savers are the best. I even use it for my unused rubs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        Rubs Promo
                        Meat-Up in Memphis