Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fathers Day Ribeye Adventure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fathers Day Ribeye Adventure.

I wanted to do something special and really WOW my dad this year, so I set about making him one of the best steaks of his life.

I bought a full slab of ribeye (first time) and cut some nice fat steaks from it after trimming the chain, etc.

I used excess fat to create some beef love, by rendering it all day long in a double boiler with fresh sage, thyme, garlic, and shallots. It made quite a nice drizzle for the steaks.

The steaks were dry brined for a couple of hours and then peppered and vacuum sealed. I plopped them into my new Anova sous-vide setup at 127 for 3 hours, I love this thing.

The plan was to go warp-10 on cast iron over charcoal, unfortunately I pulled the steaks a bit too early and not all of my coals were ashed over. When I realized my mistake I cranked the Weber Genesis I found on craigslist to max heat and gave it about 10 minutes to get my grillgrates nice and toasty.

While the gasser was heating I put the steaks into my cast iron and gave them a warp-3 treatment with clarified butter and gave them a nice coating (in the future it's warp-10 or nothing).

I seared them on the weber and brought them in to the family. Everyone was very quiet and looked quite happy during the meal.

Pa said it was in his top 5 steaks ever, Ma said best ever, and my brother said that if he had had it in a restaurant he would have told people about it. Not too shabby!

Things I would do differently:
    Make sure searing surface is at max before pulling steaks from the sous-vide.
    I forgot to pat dry right before searing.
    It was a rainy day, but I want to hang them in the PBC before vacuum sealing to get some nice smoke flavor into the meat and fat.

Next time I'll make the best steak ever.
    Attached Files

Great looking steaks, i'd be happy to get that at a restaurant.

Comment

All of this looks "to die for". I can't wait to get some big 'ol steaks that I cut/trim myself and do it AfterBurner! Cool with the clarified butter.

--Ed

Comment

I have 5 more in vacuum bags frozen for future experiments that meat log was fun!

Comment

The sear looks really good! How was the interior? Wall to wall red?

Comment

I should have snapped a photo but we were all just super excited to eat so I don't have proof of the interior.
            The lighting at the table was actually really bad and I didn't get a great look, I just kept eating piece after delicious piece of super tender steak.
            So while I do not know on this one, I will make sure to snap evidence of my next sous-vide cook! I've done steak twice now and am loving my results! (The first time was indeed wall to wall)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis