Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke in eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke in eyes

May seem like a simple question. I just purchased a WSM 18 and had previously been using the kettle. Have gone thru 3 smokes with it.
    It is working fantastic except the pain my eyes experience from the otherwise wonderful smoke filling my eyes when loading meats- two dozen wings this weekend was tough.
    Fan? sunglasses?
    How do you pros handle it???
    Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Pit Bluechip... I just make sure my smoker is out away from the porch when I am smoking.

Comment

Question: Are you adding chips before you load it with meat ?

Comment

You need some of these onion goggles. Seriously, they're a thing.

Comment

John they look like something the Green Hornet might wear...

Kathryn

Comment

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            I came here to kick butt and cut onion, and i don't see any onions.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahaha. Thanks for the laff, John . I might need those glasses just to scare the husband and kids while I'm wearing them. I wonder if they glow in the dark. I could put them on in the middle of the night and then tap my husband on the shoulder saying "mwahaha".

Kathryn

• dereklhall
            dereklhall commented
            Editing a comment
            doc, that sounds kinda kinky.

@Jon..Well yes I do add the chips in advance...dahhh don't I feel silly!
          John - But I think I'll keep loading chips in advance so I have a legit reason to wear the goggles!
          @Smarkey- will try that as well.
          @all- Thank you from a fumbling newbie

Comment

I put the wood and the meat on (same time) once the desired cooker temp is reached. I think that is recommended in some articles on this site.

I have a ton of different types of chips that folks got me for Xmas. I smoke lightly. 1 handful ( small hands ) = 1 oz chips for me. I wrap 2 oz at a time in foil, haven't used more than 4 oz. I don't soak chips anymore after reading info on this site.

-- Ed

Comment

I use the $3 chemical splash safety goggles from home depot. 3M makes them I think.

I have sensitive eyes, so opening a smoker to check temps, mop, spritz, wrap, unwrap, etc. can have a bad effect on my eyes if I'm cooking a lot of things and have to open it up more than a couple of times, so I use these to avoid that red-eyed/hung-over look by the end of the day.

plus they fit right over my regular glasses, so that's always a plus.

Comment

• Medusa
                Medusa commented
                Editing a comment
                Cool!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis