Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grocery shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grocery shopping

What with Covid, our work requirements and distance from a good store, we have come to dislike doing major shopping.

Last weekend we tried an order for doorstep contactless delivery from Whole Foods via Prime. Everything was very good. We didn’t order any meats, but canned/dry goods and veggies. The order was correct and the veggies good! Pleasantly surprised.

This weekend, we did an order from Whole Foods and another order from Wegmans, including an eye of round from Wegmans. Asked for two pounds, got three. Priced at two #. Looked VERY lean. Cooking now, for next week’s Sammie’s.

Anyone else doing this? Not sure we’ll go back to stores for major orders.

We do our main grocery stuff via Whole Foods or Walmart, depending on what we're after. Due to immunity issues, I only go out for medical appts, and we figure it's good to keep the wife in as much as we can for the time being. It works. We're a bit light on meat consumption at the moment, so usually do Whole Foods for that.

Of course, we do have a well-stocked chest freezer too. ;-)

BTW, if you're going to use Whole Foods, check out the Amazon Prime Rewards and Amazon Store cards. No interest if you don't carry a balance, and I'm pretty sure there's a 5% credit on all purchases there. For at least one of the two cards.
    Last edited by EdF; October 3, 2020, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      I use their store card for that.

Doing this all the time now. A smart way to avoid supermarkets. Use mostly Instacart and occasionally WF. Instacart has a better app and good communications w the shopper. Can add items after ordering and before shopping starts. Usually no surprises but occasionally items are out of stock. Using Instacart for Vons, Costco, Gelsons, Sprouts and others. Usually tip 15-20% because the shoppers take the risk and are underpaid.

Comment

We tried instacart awhile back but it didn't work out very well for us. The delivery times didn't work out, and a couple of times the orders were wrong. Now we try and shop early in the mornings, and we avoid Walmart because it is always very crowded. Mostly Publix, Whole Foods and the Fresh Market. And our local butcher; his shop is small though, so we take a look at the parking lot first. If it is full, we pass.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Kinda same here, never tried ordering but we go at 8am when the store opens.
        We're lees than 5 mins from 4 major grocery stores so hit one every weekend.

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Lightly spritzed your forehead with a spray bottle and cough a lot. I don't care how crowded the store is, you'll be by yourself!

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        ComfortablyNumb, lots of folks in TN carry weapons. I would probably get shot lol

Do P/U at Stop & Shop (local chain here in N.E.). 1/2 mile away. Use Whole Foods both P/U and delivery. Also do senior hours at Whole Foods and and Trader Joes. Both do a great job on masks and distancing. I have not been in a Liquor Store since March. Again local chain Liquors 44 has curb side. Then there is the online for wine. Mainly Wine Insiders.

Comment

Oh how we loved Webvan. I guess they were before their time. I even bought their stock and lost my money

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webvan

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure sounds like it!

Shopping as usual. I'm up to my elbows (LITERALLY) in humans at work with a mask that is is probably better at blocking a moving car than the approximately 90 nm virus particles flying at me.

I see less and less people wearing masks when I go out. At least half of Wal-Mart shoppers are not wearing any with some businesses having ZERO workers wearing any. 10 months ago I never would have thought I'd wear a mask every time I left the house; 1 month ago I never thought I would walk into Wal-Mart and literally feel like the only idiot wearing a mask.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          This here idiot's still maskin, so ya ain't all alone, Brother!

Way sick an tired of th whole deal, but way I see it, ain't but one way out...

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          On Sept. 29, Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee lifted COVID-19 restrictions on businesses and other gatherings in 89 of the state’s 95 counties, excluding Hamilton County. The next day, following the state’s lead, , Hamilton County Mayor Jim Coppinger said that businesses can expand their operations + remove COVID-19 restrictions that have been in place since earlier this year. Mayor Coppinger will have a news conference on Oct. 6 regarding whether he will renew the mask mandate set to expire on Oct. 8.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I live in Hamilton county. I am still going to mask up, and I have hand sanitizer and gloves in the truck.

We did the grocery delivery once. Fail. My wife ordered bananas and put 2 in the quantity box, right next to the per-lb price, we figured it meant pounds. They literally delivered 2 bananas. Not sure how many people actually know how many bananas to order, don't you usually get them by the bunch or the lb? Lesson learned there. We also ordered eggs. They brought us, and charged us for, Eggland's best, the most expensive eggs on planet earth, not what we ordered. And they messed up something with cheese too but I don't remember the full story, brought us bags of shredded when we ordered blocks or something along those lines. She selected the 'no substitutions' box too. We haven't tried it since.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds a lot like our experience. The first time we tried it, it took them 4 days to deliver the groceries.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Back in the spring, when it was "new", we ran into a few of those kinds of mistakes. Seems the last few months the places we've used have got their acts together.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, I gotta go with th Duke's... (Serious Addiction in Progress; I have Amazon set 6 bottles at a time on my porch...) 2 Fer th neighbours, 1 fer @ work, an 3 fer me lol!
          OTOH, Cain't jus bring my danged ol self to let someone shop fer me, so ain't done me no delivery, or even pickup, jus yet, so far...
          Hail, I ain't even proper dead, jus yet...

Using Whole Foods which is great and amazon fresh. Fresh has things and prices WF does not

Comment

Haven't had th chutzpah to order delivery, jus yet.

Mostly, I jus strategically hit th stores at off peak moments...

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            All my moments are off peak!

We did the curbside early in. Now we are shopping as usual, always wearing masks though. My biggest concern is selection which still has not come back and then of course the price for everything is going through the roof.

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            I jaben’t Noticed price increase except for beef, but selection is not back yet here, either.

Not interested.

I like food shopping and haven't altered my routine. I go at 0700 when the supermarket opens. I wear a mask so I don't get into any confrontations. We go to fresh market each weekend if they have a special and to get good bread but most of our shopping is at Publix and monthly, a big asian Asian supermarket in the city.

Comment

I work in the delivery business, so I figure what the hell, I'm already out there.
            Literally and figuratively....

Comment

We tried both delivery and pickup, and didn’t care for either. Like Bkhuna, I enjoy grocery shopping. So I go Sunday morning. The selection is pretty good then, and there are fewer people. In fact, I’m leaving for the store soon.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                ENJOY!

I have friends that order most things from Costco. Pretty much everything except fresh veg & meats.

Costco seems to get everything correct...just pay attention to the sizes/quantity. They were kinda surprised to find 50lb bags of both flour & sugar on their porch. LOL Using his phone, he saw the “5” and hit “add to cart.” It will get used, but storage has presented some issues.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis