Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I Add A Kettle Grill? (I already have a smoker & a gas grill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I Add A Kettle Grill? (I already have a smoker & a gas grill)

I already own a Weber Smokey Mountain & a Weber Genesis gas grill. Now I'm debating whether I should add a Weber Kettle to my arsenal. I guess my big question is what can I do with a kettle that I can't with the grills that I already have. For those of you that own all 3 (gas, charcoal & smoker), how do you decide which one to use at any given time?

I know many use gas for a quick cook but do you ever decide based on your menu?

My gas grill has been relegated to cooking asparagus, burgers (for kids), and hot dogs (for kids). Check out my signature. I've got a log of grills. Lately I cook everything on my 22" or 26" kettles.

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Is the bottom rusting out of yours? Mine has just about fallen apart.

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      I had to replace the black catch pan (years ago) because something rusted. And the thermometer which I've discovered is way off - thanks this site! - LOL!

Bought SS grates when I got the grill, and SS flavorizers 5-6 years later. Everything else is still orig.

Probably never used this grill to the extent that you have.

Right now running temp calibrations with the new GG's installed.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got the SS grates and flavorizers bar as well. We really do have the same grill!

I don't think you can have too many grills unless $$$ and space are issues. I have a 22.5 Weber Kettle and Genesis Silver B.

Just added 3 GrillGrates to the gasser. I generally do the big meats like roasts, briskets, hams, etc. on the kettle and use the gasser for quick and easy. If I'm lazy ( like tomorrow ), I'll do the chicken quarters / corn on the gasser.

I like my accessories, so even though I'd like a big smoker / stick burner, etc. I'll invest $$$ into improving my current rigs.

Have fun!

--Ed

Comment

• Guy
      Guy commented
      Editing a comment
      Ed that is a good post I agree. With a 22.5 Kettle, a 26" Kettle and a Slow n Sear in each you won't need anything else. I have a Smokey Mountain and the girl is getting lonely.

Go with the 26" Weber and the Slow'N Sear and you have almost every situation you'll run into covered. Compared to my 22.5" Weber Performer, the 26" has much more cooking area. Now after a couple cooks, the Slow'n Sear equipped Weber is as easy to use as my Yoder pellet smoker. I love it!

oldsteve

Comment

• oldsteve
      oldsteve commented
      Editing a comment
      After a 10 hour cook, and 2 hours in the faux cambro, the chucks turned out moist and tender. They pulled real easy. The only problem was, I overdosed on the smoke. Along with the Amaze'N Tube smoker I also added 3 small pieces of Pecan. I should have known better. Its still edible, but not something I would be proud to serve. Note to self: don't do that again!

oldsteve

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Yikes. That was too much smoke. Next time... just the tube

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      So is an amaze'n tube better than just wood chunks alone or would the chunks alone be better?

Should I Add A Kettle Grill?
    Yes

I already have a smoker & a gas grill
    So?

Seriously, I have 2 gassers, two charcoal, two smokers, and another one that can be a charcoal grill or smoker.

And I pale by comparison to many people on here.

And if anything, a kettle grill is the one definite must in anyone's arsenal. I just put mine back in service after an absence, can't believe how much I missed cooking on it.

Comment

I just did this. 22" with the ash can. I use it for trip-tip and burgers. Still like chicken breasts on the Genesis.

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome vintagebob! We're glad you're here.

• vintagebob
        vintagebob commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the site

There's always "Why Not?"

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still having a difficult time figuring out what I can do with the Kettle that I can't cook better with the WSM. For quick simple cooks (hot dogs, sausages, corn on the cob, etc) I can fire up the Genesis & be done in no time flat. For chicken, ribs, pork shoulder, etc. indirect slow cooking with wood chunks is the way to go... perfect for my WSM. I'm trying to envision how the Kettle will fit into the rotation.

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious... I keep reading that the Kettle is the one that everyone has in their arsenal. I'm having trouble seeing the void that it might fill.

Comment

This might give you some ideas... Lottsa photos

https://www.facebook.com/vortexchimn...=page_internal

Wonder if you could just use a V in the WSM?

--Ed

Comment

Originally posted by kenrobin View Post
            Thanks for the feedback. I'm still having a difficult time figuring out what I can do with the Kettle that I can't cook better with the WSM. For quick simple cooks (hot dogs, sausages, corn on the cob, etc) I can fire up the Genesis & be done in no time flat. For chicken, ribs, pork shoulder, etc. indirect slow cooking with wood chunks is the way to go... perfect for my WSM. I'm trying to envision how the Kettle will fit into the rotation.

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious... I keep reading that the Kettle is the one that everyone has in their arsenal. I'm having trouble seeing the void that it might fill.
            You're not missing the obvious, kenrobin , or if you are, I'm in the same boat you are. I have a great gasser and an amazing PBC, and together they pretty much fulfill all of my culinary BBQ needs. But so many folks have kettles in addition to gassers and smokers, and they use them.

I wonder if it's simply just the fun of having new toys and learning new techniques for the same food types or whether a kettle offers a clear advantage in some area.

Honestly, what I think I'm looking for is some rationalization help so I can justify a kettle purchase. I want one because I want to play with a SnS add-on. And it's not so much the cost of getting a kettle/SnS, for me it's the real estate on the back deck that it will take up. It's got to be really worth it for all the mess and clutter.

So keep asking the questions about what a kettle can do better than a gasser or WSM/PBC. I'll join you.

Kathryn

Comment

• kenrobin
              kenrobin commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Kathryn... its good to know that I'm not in the boat all by myself. So far, it sounds like the best reason to own a Kettle is because it is great fun to cook with which is not a bad reason at all. I will probably pickup one eventually but my sense is that it won't fill a need that I am currently missing. It will just be a matter of preference.

• JohnF
              JohnF commented
              Editing a comment
              I have had just about every type of BBQ, Smoker ETC I am on my third Weber Kettle and they just can’t be beat, I have cooked Tri-Tip, Turkey, Ribs and Roasts long before I found Amazing Ribs and they all turned out great, now that I have the Slow ‘N Sear I’m sure they will be better, I cooked a Tri Tip Fathers day Santa Maria Style exactly per the instructions here and it was by far the most tender and moist Tri Tip I have ever done.

• mackdaddy
              mackdaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a small kettle, not a Webber, but that will come later. I use it for smaller cooks and to do one or two steaks, burgers, sausages, pork chops when I want that charcoal taste. Don't like burgers or steak done by gas anymore. Getting spoiled I guess, or a more refined taste.

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
            ...needs...advantage...rationalization...justify
            Well, there's your problem right there. Think about this: If you only bought things that fit in one of the categories above, what all would you have?

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
            ...I want one because I want to play
            Now you got it!

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              You make it sound so simple, Usernamevalid ! It certainly does sound as though I'm postponing the inevitable.

Kathryn

Exactly right.... I can admit it... I wanted a kettle because I wanted to play with the SnS

Were humans... play is important for well adjusted humans... right?

Comment

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              Well adjusted?

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually I could probably use more adjusting. lol

UPDATE - My wife asked me to go with her to Big Lots & fortunately there was a Home Depot next door. I went inside & decided to pull the trigger on the Weber Master Touch.

Thanks for all of your input. As I was contemplating whether to buy it I kept coming back to the overwhelming comments which was about the fun of cooking with a kettle. Now I need to put it together, season it & get to grilling!

Comment

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              CONGRATULATIONS, kenrobin !!!

Wishing you many happy returns on your new Weber!

Looking forward to your cook pics and thoughts on the kettle!

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              You won't be disappointed. I have a Performer kettle, a 14.5" WSM and a Weber Genesis 3-burner gaser. I use the kettle most often by far. You can 2 zone cook in it whilst the WSM isn't set up for that kind of cooking. You can add a wood chunk to your coals. It's GREAT for whole chickens and whole turkeys - REALLY easy. It's easier to set up and clean than a WSM. It produces slightly tastier food than a gaser IMO.

I have three 22" kettles., an 18" kettle, and 2.5 WSM's. You will love the kettle

Comment

Congrats. I'll support your decision, though you'll figure it out yourself. I have a gasser, a gas vertical smoker, a 1960s charcoal with rotisserie, and 2 kettles. Both kettles were purchased within the last 12 months (one from Craigslist). I never use the gas smoker anymore and I only use gas for direct when I'm lazy. One kettle is now dedicated to Slow n Sear use. The other I use with the Vortex for wings, or when I need additional capacity. Food tastes better with charcoal/wood.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
                FLBuckeye commented
                Editing a comment
                I should have added that I got two of the kettles and the 1.5 WSM on CL. Cheap

• David Parrish
                David Parrish commented
                Editing a comment
                The Burn I think your signature needs a little updating

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis