Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Father's day dinner for myself and the wife.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Father's day dinner for myself and the wife.

About to put these baby's on the BGE. I have, for father's day, a bone in ribeye for me ...which I will use my favorite steak rub and EVO and for the missus, a prime filet tip in my not so famous sun dried tomato marinade that she forces me to make every Sunday.

Wow!!!

Comment

Looks amazing. How did you cook the ribeye? Anything fancy like a reverse sear? I'm asking because I have a new Kamado Joe and I've yet to cook a bone in ribeye. Any tips and tricks would be helpful, as I imagine these two kamado's are very similar.

Comment

Sweeeeeet!

Comment

The way I do my steaks on the BGE is that I heat up to around 600....I put a cast iron on the grate, off to the side. i put the steaks directly on the grill for 2 minutes on one side, flip for antoher two minutes, then I sear them off in the cast iron skillet that has been sitting on the grate for a minute on each side.....five minutes total..sometimes six...depending on the thickness.... I usually like my steaks around 2 to 2.5 inches thick and serve them rare plus...you cooking times will vary depending on doneness. This is the only thing I don't use a meat thermoter for...because I have been doing it so long, I just have a feel for it. I usually drizzle some of my wife's marinade (the one she forced me to make) over her steak about half way through. We have steak night every sunday and I usually only do Prime...but I've lately found a local farmer who did the bone in ribeye that I am eating tonight whose steaks and meat are all natural and I don't care whether they are prime or not...they are delicious.

Comment

I also use a pecan wood chunk along with the lump charcoal. I like the flavor the pecan imparts.

Comment

The finished product....Jen won't let me show hers.

Comment

Beautiful! I hope that it turned out perfectly!

Comment

I ended up experimenting with a rub from Worldspice called "Fin & Feather" - New Mexico Chili, Onion flakes, lemon peel, kosher salt, sage, marjoram, black Tellicherry peppercorn and celery seed on chicken that was brined in salt, brown sugar, bay leaves, ginger and oranges. I served this with grilled corn (cilantro/lime compound butter), grilled pineapple with fresh ground true cinnamon and some patty pan squash grilled with Simon & Garfunkel rub... turned out pretty good. Best part: NOTHING was cooked inside...

Comment

• dereklhall
                    dereklhall commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds yummy

dereklhall It's always interesting to see how other's cook on their ceramic grill, smoker and oven. You and I have very different techniques. I bake mine low and slow up high in the dome until they get to 115°. Then I remove the steaks from the grill and open the bottom vent and leave the dome open for the rest of the cook. I let the lump get really hot and then put the steaks on down low... 2" from the lump. I sear it about 2 minutes per side and pull it when it gets to 130°.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I'll try each of these methods.

Comment

That last pic was kind of a jerk...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rude.png
Views:	50
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	91973

Comment

• Breadhead
                        Breadhead commented
                        Editing a comment

• _John_
                        _John_ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Much better.

That's cooked perfectly. I'm the type to pre-season with a good salt and pepper and finish with a compound butter. That bone in looks very nice.

Comment

Wartface, that steak looks awesome. Let me know when you are cooking again, I'll bring the appetite and wine.
                        Last edited by dereklhall; June 27, 2015, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        Rubs Promo
                        Meat-Up in Memphis