Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wish me luck! LOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish me luck! LOL

Seeing as I spend 3+ weeks a month traveling, I’ve decided to not renew my lease in Ocean Beach (San Diego). O_o

I’ve not seen the place this time around for about 6 weeks. Sheesh
    The final straw was walking up to my apartment and having someone ask me if I’m the new tenant. “Eh...I’ve ‘lived’ here for 7 years.” LOL

So with that, I’ve decided to save myself the $2k a month for a place I rarely get to see and become “professionally homeless.” Most of my cookers will head up to my parents house, a couple will live with friends. Most of the guitars, books, furniture, and the like will go into a climate controlled storage space. At least until I slow down and/or figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I spend hundreds of nights a year in hotels and can literally spend almost a year otherwise on points alone... Yeah, I travel that much. (Top tier business traveler with several hoteliers.)

Still, it’s kind of a weird feeling. Going from 3200 sq ft to 1000 was more or less ok. (It was just me making that transition.) But this seems like a whole new world. :-/ Friends & my parents think it’s great... (My parents always questioned my sanity at paying that rent anyway.) If I owned it, it would be a different story I’m sure.

We’ll see how this works...and I’ll keep anyone interested updated. The mailing address won’t change, as it hasn’t for about a decade...because changing that is more trouble than it’s worth IMO. So the mailing address will still be in the IE, along with my pickup...and my parents are up in the high desert...and my friends are in Riverside & San Diego counties. A stones throw considering the hundreds of thousands of miles I cover every year.

I’m only sharing this because may indeed impact my cooking and interaction here...at least in the short term.
    And l’m a glutton for punishment. LOL

Smart move for you. For that much money you can always Airbnb/VRBO somewhere if you know you'll be in a city for awhile and don't want to spend points.

Comment

You know, I’ve been there more or less. I moved 14 times in my 35 year career. I also traveled away from wherever we were at the time on a weekly basis. At one point coincidence brought us back to our home town and my wife told me “ I will never leave you, but I will never again leave with you”. I moved 5 times without here after that. I am happy to report that I retired (at age 60) and came home for good and she and I have lived happily ever since. It was tough for us to be sure. But we made it. Bottom line. It will work out. Hang in there.

Comment

OB is OK! I lived at 4733 Orchard for about five years. Only paid $400 a month rent. Yeah, it was a long time ago.

Comment

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          No, not much has changed...except the prices.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          $400 a month in OB???:eek!

Hail, Brother...

It still hadda be in black an white, with monaural sound, back then, hayzoo kristay !!! lol

I lived in some very exclusive, Gated Communities in that area, way back when.

Membership, an access were very exclusive...

Camp Pendelton, an Twentynine Palms....

Both are Luxury Destinations, I can assure ya lol

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones I once lived in a gated community. It was in San Luis Obispo and is a whole other story....Didn’t even have to pay rent, beautiful area so I’m told! 😉

If you travel that much, set up a youtube channel and show your experiences, especially food related.

Comment

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve thought about it but sometimes I’m just stoopid busy...and then flying it to another location.
          Haven’t figured out how to spend more down time in some of my stops.

Originally posted by 58limited View Post
        If you travel that much, set up a youtube channel and show your experiences, especially food related.
        No doubt.

Comment

Your decision makes perfect sense to me.
          I hate paying rent.
          May be time to look for a condo or townhouse to buy and build some equity.
          I do think its important to have a home base of some kind.

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree...a home base is somewhat important. The problem now is that I’m renting a place, for a premium, that I only get to see for a a couple days every 4-6 weeks.

I wish you luck! I spent 4 years, towards the end of my career, in a position that had me in hotels five nights a week. I came home on the weekends to BBQ and would go out on the road again. Because it was a promotion and the kids were a bit older, I didn't feel like I missed out on much. When it was over and I took another position locally, it took a bit to readjust. I had forgotten that I had responsibilities at home that my wife had taken on in my absence. I have since retired and have a seasonal job in the summer. I still only have accepted back 1/2 of the responsibilities I once had. If I had to pay the bills now I would be lost!

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Fortunately, sort of, I live alone...and have for about ten years. My boys are adults and live on their own. So i didn’t miss any of their growing up. I have NO household responsibilities that are not self imposed, so that’s a plus. I’ve just come to the conclusion that paying rent for a place I rarely see is kinda foolish.

I hope it works for ya.

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Me too! LOL

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Me three, amigo!!!

Homeless? In OB? My god man, it's never been done before!

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            “Professionally Homeless.” LOL

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            I have unlimited wireless HouseHomey so as long as there’s cellular service I’m good. ;-)

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Based upon my personal experience, I prefers me th designation of "Free Range" or "Cage Free", vs Homeless...
            Purty much all th Same Difference, but it looks much better on one's Resume...

"In Between Assignments" is also a contender, but not as specific as to whether one possesses an actual domicile
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 27, 2020, 05:17 PM.

Wow. That takes some guts and qualifies as real “Change.” I wish you great success and even better health in your efforts.

Is it wrong that my first thought was “where would I poop?”

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL
            I have, and continue to earn, enough points to stay just about anywhere in the country for about a year at last look...
            I also have friends that are on board...so long as I cook for them. Hmmm, funny enough, my father made a similar comment. Sensing a theme here. LOL

Is there any way you can trravel with a portable grill? LOL

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Only when I drive... I imagine checking one in might be a hassle. LOL

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Enter th Weber SJS...

I wish you all the best and am looking forward to regular updates when you can. Sounds like a great adventure.

Comment

Best of luck, and remember that we've followed Ernest's Cast Iron cooks in hotel rooms with a hot plate for years.
            Last edited by hoovarmin; September 27, 2020, 06:04 AM.

Comment

"On the road again!" Sounds crazy but I see how it will work for you. Enjoy and be sure to save that 2 grand for the retirement place in Hawaii!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis