Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wondering if I *should* try this at home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering if I *should* try this at home?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/...cken-sous-vide

​I have always wanted to try something like this - Meathead Max Good and friends - what do you think?

I don't dig sucking the air out that bag, aka the "Salmonella Siphon." Non-typhoidal, of course.

Comment

Sous vide is a great method of cooking and immersion circulators that manage the temperature precisely and safely are down in the $200 range now. The meat is incredibly moist and tender, but lacks the eye appeal, as well as the richness that comes with browning, so the best thing for sous vide is a hot frying pan or grill after it comes out of the bag. So for a steak, take it up to 125 in the sous vide, then into a screaming hot pan.

But I have done sous vide ribeyes side by side with reverse sear, and although the reverse sear is a little firmer, by no means chewy, the flavor is much richer after time with smoke.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! YAY!

Comment

Man, that looks like a whole lot of extra work for something that's supposed to be fast and easy. I'd sprinkle those chicken breasts with some lemon pepper, toss them in a skillet for 5 minutes a side, and be done with it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis