Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt/Texas beans/Big Green Egg question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt/Texas beans/Big Green Egg question

On Tuesday I'm going to do that honkin' big pork butt on my BGE, which I'm pretty much okay with. But I also want to do that Grandma's Texas Beans along with. I'm planning on doing the butt around 250-275*, starting around 8AM, maybe 7AM. the beans call for 3 hours.

If I do the beans in a Dutch oven, uncovered, on the plate setter under the roast, will the bottom scorch? Is that 275 going to be too hot?

Thanks.

Mosca

Hmmm... If you are using a digital device like the DigiQ Dx2 to track your cooking temp at the grate level, my guess is that your plate setter will be 30° to 50° hotter.

If it were me... I would try to elevate the Dutch oven above the ceramic plate by at least 1". That would give you some airflow under your Dutch oven which would create an oven effect, as opposed to a stove effect that sitting right on the ceramic plate would create.

I think that would reduce your chance of scorching your beans.

Not sure really... Just a thought.

Comment

Wartface, here's a solution using the Grill Mates racks. If the lid doesn't close on the pork shoulder, then I can use the lower rack and a pyrex baking dish.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        @Mosca...

I think that's the perfect setup. Have a great cook.

Happy Fathers Day.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo
    Meat-Up in Memphis