Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have a recommendations for a tree book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grillinglousiana
    replied
    go to youre state forestry and aig site..they will have all kinds of booklets and pamplets...on plants ,trees,etc

Leave a comment:

• JGo37
    replied
    Colorado State Forest Service also provides some resources.

https://csfs.colostate.edu/colorado-...-tree-species/

Leave a comment:

• TripleB
    replied
    No idea on a book, but like your user name. Thank you for your service. Go Airborne. Rangers led the way!

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Looks like the one I had. I see this one was owned by one of the Hardy Boys. My brother took mine when he disappeared into the wilderness some time ago.
    Last edited by HawkerXP; September 22, 2020, 10:35 AM. Reason: bro flashback

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Good basic tree identification, also a handy basic Survival tome, if one is interested in doin such (survivin)...

Link

Shop around
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 22, 2020, 07:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• au4stree
    replied
    The book that got me through college was "National Audobon Society Field Guide to N. Amer. Trees" Eastern Region. They make a Western Region too. The thing that helped me is the pictures organized by leaf type which is how most trees are identified. Identifying wood is difficult as many hardwoods have the same properties, softwoods too. Additionally, they will have the common flower and fruiting body that can be found so depending on the season, you should be able to identify the tree. Lastly, the back part gives species specific details associated with a particular tree.

There are other books of course, but this one is my favorite. USDA Forest Service does a good job, but their stuff can be a bit "technical". The following website from TXAM is a simple key to help id species, http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/content/idByLeaf/

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    I didn't know tress could read!

• 101Airborne
    replied
    Originally posted by willxfmr View Post
    Best tree book I ever read was The Giving Tree. Not sure it will help you figure out what kind of tree you are looking at, but it still a good tree book.
    That children book is definitely one of the greatest allegories about life that every man post 40 will understand.

Leave a comment:

• pkadare
    replied
    https://plantidentifier.info/

Leave a comment:

• willxfmr
    replied
    Best tree book I ever read was The Giving Tree. Not sure it will help you figure out what kind of tree you are looking at, but it still a good tree book.

Leave a comment:

• holehogg
    replied
    I thought all books were made from tree's ☺

Leave a comment:

• Steve R.
    commented on 's reply
    I have one called PlantSnap, maybe it's the same one. I love the concept, but performance is spotty at best in my experience.

• smokin fool
    replied
    If you have an iPhone there is an app by Apple called Snap Plant I believe.
    May be easier than carrying around a book.

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    replied
    A little smaller and less detailed is the Arbor Day Foundation’s “What Tree is That?” It is still good for common trees. Just a side note, don’t buy it directly from them and get on their mailing list.☹️ Here is a link to one bookstore’s copy: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wha...ion/1112389130

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    This is a great guide. They use to have a book guide app which was easy to use but they stopped updating it, at least on iOS, and it is no longer downloadable as far as I know.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis