Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women and the Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women and the Grill

I will be on the SuperPsyched Podcast with psychologist Dr. Alan Dorsey. We will be talking about why do more men grill in the US? Our website demographics are 85% male. Not true in Asia and elsewhere. What are your theories?

I don't know, but this was true in the '50s and '60s as well. It's longstanding in the U.S.A.

I'm the only cook in our house, so that's a bit unusual. And, my father did NOT grill. He couldn't boil a hot dog. So I am not equipped to answer the question!

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here. My father could not boil water. My mom was the cook. She hated grilling so of course She almost never did. I do all the cooking in our house and wifey is happy to let me although if she wants too, is a great cook. Weird how it turned out.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Both these is why I became th Grill Cook in my family, very, very young lol...Dad had no grasp of th grill, though he could dutch oven, over a campfire!

Ma didn't wanna mess with th additional taskin of inside/outside meals prep/production, an soon, I had me some tongs lol

• Sam6687
      Sam6687 commented
      Editing a comment
      i am the only cook in our house as well, if i am out of town the wife is ordering pizza for her and the kids or getting take out. My father has a couple of dishes he would make but he did grill, burgers, dogs, steak. My grandfather was a great cook and i learned a lot from him.

I think here in the USA it has been instilled upon women that the kitchen is their domain and if you want something grilled/smoked. Well that’s the mans job.
    Kinda like at my house. Wait, I Do all Of the cooking. 🤔 Anyway.
    My wife takes care of the inside of our house and I tend to the outside.
    Same went for my parents. And so on.
    So I think it’s somewhat of a cultural thing.
    Just my thoughts.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Cultural is a great observation, Brother; Reckon mebbe some places, a woman ain't allowed close to th cookin stuff..
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 2, 2020, 06:46 PM.

Men got bounced from the house. I’m not touching this one.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      😂😂😂

Because women have enough common sense to cook in the air conditioning.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Now that’s funny as F. But probably so true.

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve B
      It's particularly significant when you notice that he lives in Texas.

• MTurney
      MTurney commented
      Editing a comment
      gcdmd you got that right 🥵

Saw this on Twitter today, Valentina's is awesome!

https://www.austinmonthly.com/meet-a...ale-pitmaster/

Comment

• cgrover60
      cgrover60 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice story.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Love it.

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! I like that she is being exposed to different regions and styles of BBQ.

My mom was queen of the kitchen. But my dad did the grilling, on a flat-pan style grill. I think the term was 'brasserie'.
    OT: My dad would take the family camping every summer, and we loved it. My mom? She grew up on a farm, and did not like the parallels. 😄❤

Comment

With the genuine BBQ by Pitmasters that is one thing, but the backyard grillin I think started with the Tim Allen thing, argh, argh, argh. Then when the backyard cookin morphed into geeksville, what with graphs, wi-fi, gizmo gadgets (electronic devices to those in Oconomowoc) & such, it had even more appeal to the modern American male. You can sorta play video games, drink beer & cook, what more could one want. Computers & cookin, yippee! Again the true Pitmasters & some of them are women, are not into gadgets. My first thoughts on the matter.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        My thoughts exactly, burning stuff in the backyard = fun, poking fire with a stick, oh yeah. Still do it today. I have stopped chasing ants around with a hot stick.
        Ok. I work on complex aircraft. The biggest problem I have to deal with? Frickin passenger wifi.! Nothing to do with flying or keeping it flying. Ack!

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Some real insight here.

Waiting to see what FZ doc, Iowa girl, et al contribute to this thread before sticking my foot in my mouth....

Comment

It's a balance here. We both have are niches. I don't mess with Thanksgiving. It's her deal and I respect that.

We're 180 out of phase in many ways when it comes to preferences regarding food and taste. Example, she likes BBR'S. Not cooked on charcol and no smoke. Did 2 racks the other day. One on gasser no smoke. One on Kettle smoke.

Has no interest in outdoor cooking. I respect that.

​​​​​

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Balance...

Interesting question. Does it reflect some unconscious societal norms? Just did a quick search of women’s involvement in what many might consider activities primarily pursued my men. According to the Fish and Wildlife Service and the Census Bureau women make up about 14% of hunters. Women appear to make up about 22% of people who own guns. A little lower in percentage, women make up about 7% of firefighters.

It may just boil down to the simple fact that when you grill outside you get to play with fire which may appeal to men more. It may even be a little more subtle than that. When Henry Ford got into the charcoal briquette business he sold grills to go with his cars, and in that age the majority of ‘horseless carriages‘ drivers were men so the norm may have started that the grill was a man’s territory. And then later when the boys of Madison Ave started advertising for the early grill makers like Weber and Hasty Bake their commercials were almost all set up around the man providing for his adoring family with masterpieces from his outdoor grill so that formed our early images of men outside cooking on the family grill.

Who knows, but it is interesting.

Comment

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          Might be something to the FOrd connection.

Persistent stereotypes influence behavior and are slow to change.

Comment

Some will choose to resist demographics but that 85% male number Meathead tossed out is pretty much reflective of the rest of the bbq/outdoor cooking world. Modern memes tend to distort the why and wherefore of societal behavior and the bigger megaphones of info dispersal have a decided agenda despite protests to the contrary. That being said, it's no big deal with this. The few prominent women we have here in The Pit are highly accomplished though not typical. They hold their own with the best of the lot, but that shouldn't take away from the reality that men seem to be drawn to real, live fire (with apologies to the gasser crowd). Subliminally this probably dates back to prehistoric times when a lightening bolt or whatever, first presented fire to be discovered. It was likely the hunter man rather than the gatherer woman who brought it home and grunted something along the lines of "let's see what this does to those dino ribs". Nature/nurture? The survival prerogative dictated that women were more valuable, thus less prone to risk taking, than men. Cooking with live fire for the first time was probably pretty risky in context. Don't fight millennia of tradition/evolution, go with the flow, and pop a cool one.
          Last edited by Uncle Bob; September 2, 2020, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            I think my brain just melted here. 😳😁

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m hearing “Hold my beer.”

That was well stated sir.

Easy answer. Not derogatory by any means, but this is what we grew up with.

EDIT to add, I’m ok with this cus it’s what I learned. Moonbeam is ok with it too. It’s what she learned. We are products of “our” culture and “our” time.

Last edited by lonnie mac; September 2, 2020, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• N227GB
            N227GB commented
            Editing a comment
            Ward might have wanted June to stay in the kitchen, but she did know how to speak Jive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrZlWw8Di10
            Last edited by N227GB; September 3, 2020, 11:28 AM.

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that’s the only time I’ve seen Ward without a necktie!

• bep35
            bep35 commented
            Editing a comment
            I wouldn't touch that today with a 10' pole.

My father did the grilling, otherwise known a putting a carbon glaze on most meats.
          We never did find out what meat did to him as a child but he got back at it on the grill....especially chicken, it was un-recognizable after he was done with it
          The kitchen was mothers, good thing too, the one time my father used the stove he damn near burned the place down.
          Mom got new kitchen cabinets so it was a win for her.

Comment

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha brother. This is the same reason I am not allowed to do laundry.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Its the dishwasher for me, you want an interesting evening put liquid dish soap in a dishwasher instead of the powder or pucks....
            We were outta powder and I thought it would be fine....holey crap there were bubbles everywhere....

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis