Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ goals and philosophy of life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ goals and philosophy of life

Do you have BBQ goals that are part of your “raison d’etre” (reason to be)? I started out wanting to be better than Rudy’s (a fully acceptable chain in Texas—still will buy there on occasion). Then I wanted to be better than “essentially” any restaurant. That’s easier to do than you might think because even the great restaurants have to cook whatever meat they get and I have been known to pick through dozens of Prime or even wagyu briskets at multiple stores. You CAN outlook the average output of even a great restaurant with some practice and no budget sensitivity. Now it is just to cook the kind of food my family and friends all want to keep coming back for. That was really what it was all along the way and is the most satisfying goal of all. Meathead

My goal is simply to put out food that I, my wife, and any other family or friends enjoy. That’s it.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Wide? I hope she doesn't see THAT typo!

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      I like that. Can I take that and add, “and not get food poisoning”?

Since BBQ joints and Smokehouses are few and far between up here I figured if I want smoked food, I gotta do my own.
    Can't say I have an agenda or goals but I like to think I get better every cook.

Comment

• zero_credit
      zero_credit commented
      Editing a comment
      Nailed my reasoning too. I like my BBQ better than any place up here and I am still improving!

I was considered the best backyard cook by my family and friends in Brooklyn. Then my sister came home from Texas to say her boyfriend BBQ's and I just grill. At that point I never met him or ate his cooking I just wanted to be better than he was. So I bought a Brinkman Electric and Steve Raichlen's "How to grill" . Lets just say it was a rude awakening when I met him, the cords of oak, the home made offset 🤣😂🤣😂 They were very nice and helped me along. That goal is dead but good grub for family and friends is alive and kicking.

For about 3 minutes I was gearing up to take on Harry Soo, Tuffy Stone, Johnny Trigg, and Myron Mixon, that faded fast as well
    Last edited by tenphases; August 31, 2020, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Right in the gut with them feels! Damn. That’s a true story and I’ve never met you.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, for me, it's the enjoyment of the eaters, trying out different ways of doing things, maybe making something a little better or more interesting, depending on today's definitions of those words. It was more aggressive in earlier days.

I think BBQ is the people's food. Brisket is one tough cut of meat. Chicken is cheap food. The toughest part of the hog is in the shoulders and ribs. BBQ is about making tough pieces of meat tender, and cheap food tasty. BBQ is about slow-cooking meat over tasty fires and feeding it to your friends and family. There are nine million ways to make tasty meat over fire, and BBQ is the constant pursuit of those nine million ways. The BEST BBQ is cooked by someone who loves you and invites you over to their house to eat it. BBQ doesn't get any better than that!

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. Grilling is great but low and slow BBQ is like magic.

I will add to my above note.

In short. I was sick and tired of paying for terrible baby back ribs wherever I went and wanted better. My childhood dream ribs were Swiss Chalets ribs, which I probably haven’t eaten in over 20 years now. So I set out to make ribs that I like and dammit. I think I do pretty okay now.

Comment

Love this thread! Rudy's was my first introduction to Texas style brisket, and is a pretty high bar to clear. So imagine my surprise to find this site which reveals the secrets to not only ribs, but brisket. Having gotten pretty good at those has helped me to build the confidence to try pretty much anything that can be grilled or considered bbq.
      Last edited by Steve R.; August 31, 2020, 10:52 PM.

Comment

I'm still at the rank amateur stage imo but after 2 1/2 yrs on a little COS, I am finding that the good cooks are now outweighing the bad ones. The bad ones aren't as bad as they used to be, I'm getting fussier of course and keep raising the bar for myself. The reason why I do it, I love the flavour and I love the challenge of taming the process. Playing with fire satisfies something primal within and is just plain good fun.

But I think we can all agree that there is no better feeling than that moment when a silence falls over the table as the eating begins, then the happy noises. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it, love this hobby/sport/pastime whatever you call it, with a passion that runs deep,same as a lot of AR fans.

Comment

My goal is to be better with every cook. I read about this stuff daily and this one of the reasons why this forum is so great. Creating good food to me is all about serving and that is what I love to do so if someone enjoys what I make then that is my goal.

Comment

I love goals, so I love this thread. Your question made me realize that I've become so consumed with my business and with acquiring fishing and seamanship skills that lately, I've stopped challenging myself in the cooking-with-fire department. Whenever I sit down and give thought to what my goals are I get motivated and good things happen. So, thanks for asking this important question. I'll let you know the outcome.

Comment

I just want to grill/cook/smoke "good food" for Family & Friends. Each meal is a new challenge to me. It's also important to me to keep it fun. All of you AR Pitmasters challenge me to do better everyday. This AR Site is a great place to be.

Comment

At first I wanted to be able to make some good tasting ribs and that is about it. Now my goals are to be able to make people happy through the food that I serve. I really did not realize how much I would enjoy making food for other people, and how good that would make me feel.

So I guess my goals now are to make as much food as I reasonably can for other people and still have fun while doing it. There is nothing quite like it.

Comment

Flat out, The best BBQ is the BBQ you like. The best goal: smiles on the the faces of friends and family.

Comment

I look forward to the challenge of improving each time I cook and/or maintaining consistency on those things that I cook well. My wife appreciates my cooking, as well as relieving her of having to do so much in the kitchen. Whether it is just the two of us or with a few friends, the process of BBQing is relaxing. The only stress is when it is finished...like opening Christmas presents...you hope that it is well received and enjoyable for others.

Comment

I just like to cook. Anything. But BBQ is at the foundation. Been doing that for years with friends and family - before I started cooking in the kitchen. And I will be doing it until I leave here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      Rubs Promo
                      Meat-Up in Memphis