Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper?"

Today, I am making a deer roast, over root vegetables (carrots, onions, turnips), I lightly smoked/seared over pecan wood, then threw in pan with vegetables and stock, covered and now it's braising for about 4 hours. Meanwhile I am making home baked french bread, roasted brussell sprouts-frizzled with a bit of balsamic and mac-n-cheese. I am trying to post pics of my roast, but can't figure it out just yet...but working on it.

Why ain't I invited?

Comment

waiting on those pics!

Comment

Here are the Pics. Flavors were awesome. Meat was not as moist as my last one.

Comment

@dereklhall

You have a great BBQ set up in your backyard. Tipping my hat at your setup. I see you replaced the daisy wheel with the new and improved top vent cap. How do you like it? I did that a month ago I love it. Its much better than the daisy wheel IMHO.
          Last edited by Breadhead; June 15, 2015, 05:30 AM.

Comment

The verdict is still out on the cap. I got it this past weekend and I am just learning how to adjust it. I know with the old daisy wheel, I'd remove it completely at start up, in order to get the fire going fast....I am not sure I need to or can practically remove the cap every time. Also, I seer my steaks as high as 600 and don't know if the cap will let me do that. What are your experiences?

Comment

dereklhall The cap is 2 parts. The cone that fits over the ceramic top vent and then the cap that fits on to the cone. Taking the top cap off has the same effect as removing your daisy wheel. The cap rotates in a circular motion to adjust how much airflow you want. For a low and slow cook with my DigiQ Dx2 on this last weekend I opened the cap about 1/4" to maintain my temp at 235°. I did a cleaning burn yesterday by removing the top cap and I had the bottom vent wide open and got to 800°. I find it much easier to use than the daisy wheel and it's great that you don't lose your setting when you open the dome. I ordered this new grate at the same time I order the new cap. I use the new grate to do my reverse sear on steaks. I really like both products.

Comment

I need to check out that grate.

Comment

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can order the grate through the AmazingRibs website at Amazon for $38. Mosca bought one already for his large BGE.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis