Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peanut Butter.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peanut Butter.....

Crunchy or creamy?
    Crunchy
    57.89%
    Creamy
    42.11%

And what is your preferred brand(s)?

And of course, feel free to share any quirky consumption techniques!!
    Last edited by richinlbrg; June 14, 2015, 06:51 AM.

Comment

I love em both so I didn't exercise my franchise in the poll :0

Favorite brand is a throwback restart of a local company that was what I grew up with:

http://velvetpeanutbutter.com/index.html

Also keep lots Jif around. Looking forward to Huskees input on this one
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; June 14, 2015, 06:41 AM.

Comment

I used to be all crunchy, all the time, but about two years ago I went to creamy. So I don't know which to choose, I love them both and might go back. My favorite brand is Wegman's store brand, it has a good peanut taste and just enough saltiness, and a good texture.

Comment

I think Peter Pan and Skippy are the sweetest and therefore my fave, Skippy being my fave fave. My wife doesn't let me get it since I go through so much and it's pricier, so we end up going with store brand which still works for me. Wife's favorite is Jif, but boy was she mad at me when I gave her a blind taste test and she picked Skippy, lol.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Based on this I will be switching brands. I'll be keeping the Velvet around for nostalgic reasons but I'm done with Jif. just sayin

Safe to say your a man that knows his PB! I'm going with it.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Jon Solberg Lol. Also I tried Reese's and it's my least favorite. It had a bitter, peanut skin kinda taste. Of course this was by comparison to the others. I'd probably like it fine by itself. One time I bought one of each of the main brands and did numerous samplings. It was a good day. That's how I know this.

I voted creamy but I love crunchy as well. Favorite two brands are Velvet and Jiff. I've been known to just grab a couple of spoonfuls as a snack.

We used to buy Velvet when I was a kid. It was less expensive than the national brands, just as good. Has a 'Jiff' flavor to it.
          Last edited by Usernamevalid; June 14, 2015, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Never heard of Velvet, must've been a tad before my time. I was an 80s kid. The logo sure looks 50s ish, I bet my dad would remember it, I'll have to ask him.

Comment

• Usernamevalid
              Usernamevalid commented
              Editing a comment
              It was gone for a while, originally a Detroit brand. A Michigan couple have revived the brand but it's being made down south, "where the peanuts are", according to them. They are moving, or maybe already have, their headquarters to MI.

It ain't cheap and only comes in small jars.

Here's why an 80's kid doesn't remember it!

Velvet Peanut Butter traces its roots to a two-car garage in Detroit in 1937. The peanut butter made by Paul Zuckerman became so popular that he expanded his operations three times in Detroit before establishing a plant in Livonia in 1963, where it was made until the family got out of the business in 1985. The peanut butter also was sold in Indiana and Ohio.
              Last edited by Usernamevalid; June 14, 2015, 07:19 AM.

Jif Extra Crunchy. 'Nuff said.

Kathryn

Comment

I started out as creamy only (note: a PB&J with a side of chips was almost my daily lunch early in life). then a few years ago I switched to chunky.

Love a snack of Doritos, chips, nachos or similar dipped in some PB with some milk.

I've been eating Smuckers Natural of late, but am going to try/re-try some others noted here!

Jon Solberg, I'm going to order your brand, but GOTTA try Huskee 's brand!

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                You know how everyone raves about Dukes mayo? I finally tried and I concur it's wonderful, way better than Hellman's and Kraft for my tastes. I think the same about Peter Pan & Skippy pb. I think they're just a notch better if you don't mind them being expensiver (new word).

#peanutbuttergeek

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                I understand, Huskee. !!

I voted crunchy and i like to mix mine with honey...

Comment

Crunchy with only an occasional hankering for smooth.
                Not too picky on brand, but I can't get behind the healthy ones you have to keep in the fridge and stir. Taste like dust!!
                Used to love a house brand by Safeway that made a wicked jam too, I think they came in cans? But they went out of business when I was like, 5 or something, way back early 90s

Comment

When my kid went to Alaska for work a few months ago they allowed him to ship 200lbs. of dry food. Since weight was at a premium he bought a 5lb. bag of powdered peanut butter, which makes the same as a bunch of jars. Just mix with water. Ya' know, it ain't all that bad.

Comment

Oh yeah, and you haven't lived until you' peanut butter and banana sandwich, Elvis' favorite.

Butter some bread on the outside, like a grilled cheese. Spread PB, slice a banana and distribute evenly, then grill.

Get the bread nice and crispy. The PB gets all melty and drippy.

Comment

Man (er, Dude), I feel so inadequate. I haven't got a preference here, except to say that I dislike PB that separates. Both crunchy and smooth have their uses.

Comment

When my name is "Skip" I'd have to vote for Skippy first and Jif would be second choice. Peanut Butter on crackers with grape jelly is a favorite, I was raised on Peanut Butter!! By the way this AR sight is The BEST!!!!

p

Comment

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Makes perfect sense on Skippy!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      Rubs Promo
                      Meat-Up in Memphis