Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got A New Humidor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got A New Humidor

The old one just won’t hold humidity anymore .... it’s about 20 years old now. Has been moved a couple times. Got wet once. Wood separated at the corner just a little bit. But it only cost me $60 when I bought it and it’s kept thousands of cigars over the years.

Got the new one delivered today. It’s mighty purty. Seasoning it now using the Boveda system. 14 days until I can load it with cigars. Dang, I hate waiting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E2CF83EE-CF1E-4FEB-B238-603044EB313F.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	900600

Name:	42704321-BE94-4491-8179-7DEEEFE4027C.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	900599

Have you ever used the humidity beads?

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Dadof3Illinois I’ve started the planning for it. Probably going to do it in October. My calculations say I can store about 500 cigars in what I want to build. The most expensive part of it is the humidification system.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      The rest of it is the lumber for rough framing, the Spanish cedar for the box, and then whatever moulding I want to make it “pretty”. Figure with construction materials, wiring, humidifier, lighting .... a 3’ x 5’ cabinet in the wall will cost me $800-$1000 and can hold about 500 cigars

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      Just curious how many do you guys typically go through ?

I used to like to take some puffs off my step-father's when I was a kid, and try to blow smoke rings.

Tends to give me a sore throat nowadays.

Beautimus!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I chose the manufacturer and box size, Stacy chose the exterior design ..... fair’s fair .... she has to look at it all the time LOL

Very nice. My desk top humidor looks like yours on the inside, maybe the same size? It is about 12 years old now and can hold up to 90 cigars. It has a tobacco leaf design on the lid. Its empty now, sadly.

I like the globe motif, I have a set of vintage whiskey glasses with a gold globe design on them that would match it almost perfectly.
    Last edited by 58limited; August 23, 2020, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      This box says “up to 100 cigars” so likely about the same size. An empty humidor is sad.

zzdocxx I typically smoke a cigar a day, depending on weather. On weekends, I may smoke 2 in a day.

True story - when I was a kid, my grandfather was an amazing, larger than life guy. One of the last real cowboys, he grew up in eastern Nevada, born in 1905. He smoked cigars and rode Harley’s his entire life that I knew him. I am his oldest grandson and we had a tradition when I was a kid that he took me to buy a new pair of boots on my birthday. The year I turned 12, we were driving to his preferred store for cowboy boots, in his truck, and he was smoking a cigar. Which I was completely fascinated with.

So, he offered me one. I know, because he told me later, that he was hoping to get me sick so that I would be turned off of smoking. Instead, I loved that cigar, enjoyed the whole thing. And have been smoking cigars ever since. That was 40+ years ago. My mother, as you may imagine, was not very pleased with the revelation that her 12 year old son enjoyed cigars!

Comment

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for sharing that. Great story.

zzdocxx I might smoke 1 every other month or I might smoke 10 a week? Heck I went over 2 years without smoking a single cigar before. Just seems to depend on what I’m doing and who I’m around.

ecowper here’s a shot of my wineador and wooden humidor. The majority of the items In the wineador are a 2005-2007 or older vintage.

Name:	98E99C49-46BC-4859-B75A-967375CFF797.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	900742

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!

Nice @ecowper!!! 😃 I had one of those years ago, and it still stands as one of the best I’ve ever owned! Great purchase my friend!

The ONLY reason I gave mine away to a good home is because I outgrew it... I like to tell people I don’t have a cigar smoking problem, I’ve got a cigar BUYING problem lol. Here is my current setup:

Name:	52E4E8E0-011B-4048-9A9C-ED2CA8B2C6C4.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	900778

First the Hasty Bake, now stogies... I’m starting to think we’re long lost brothers or something dude! 😃🙌

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I think we must be separated at birth! I’m actually on the verge of building an in wall humidor in my home office.

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      That one on the left looks like some kind of radio, or a seismograph or something.

I miss the days when we could light up indoors at the bar.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      My local sports bar has a smoking room and the last Tuesday of the month they have a cigar & whiskey night. They feature a different whiskey every night they have it and pair it to cigars. I always open the reminder email a day or two late.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Craigar dam, wish I had known that a couple years ago when Werner Enterprises was one of my clients. I was in the area all the time

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper. Jerzes in Papillion. They just started doing this last fall and has been slow to take off. Probably because of guys like me not reading the reminder email.

I prefer to smoked meat over cigars.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      if I could only do one, it would be meat.

Wow, that thing is really cool. I love the smell of those.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      the smell of spanish cedar and cigar combined is intoxicating :-)

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing better! ecowper

And today was Cigar Delivery Day :-)

Name:	IMG_1455.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	902207

Name:	IMG_1456.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	902206

Comment

Originally posted by bbqLuv View Post
      I prefer to smoked meat over cigars.
      I don't understand this statement.

Are you saying that you would like to smoke some meat by using cigar smoke ?

I haven't heard of that, but with smoking declining in the US, maybe the tobacco companies could make up some revenue by selling tobacco leaves for smoking meat, or tobacco pellets for pellet grills. They could use that fancy tobacco grown from seeds originating in Cuba but grown in Puerto Rico some other Caribbean place.

How about it guys ? Macanudo Ribs ? Montecristo Brisket ? Cohiba Robusto Chuck ?

I wonder how that would taste ? Hopefully not like an ashtray dumped on your meat.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Connecticut chicken!

Welp, it’s all seasoned and holding humidity great. Moved all the cigars into the new box. Elected to go with standard humidifier and “cigar juice” for humidification. If that doesn’t work out well, I’ll go back to Boveda packs.

Name:	D4E308CC-ABFB-4C66-B98F-356EBEE0EC06.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	907202

Name:	10865527-ABF8-4CAF-A46B-5D4F84A3B38F.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	907201

Name:	2089150E-4070-4FA2-802E-73479EC410F4.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	907203

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      Rubs Promo
      Meat-Up in Memphis