Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A sad day in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A sad day in Canada

Just read where the parent company that makes Ragu tomato pasta sauce is pulling Ragu out of Canada.
    A major blow to over worked house wives struggling to put a meal on the dinner table.
    A major victory for old world Italian grannies who viewed Ragu as toxic waste compared to they're homemade tomato pasta sauce.
    Never was much of a fan anyhow, always thought it was made with anger and despair with a tinge of venom for good measure

Ragu was as welcomed in my house growing up as was Hamburger Helper. I remember once when my dad brought some HH home from the store after he saw a commercial on TV. My mother smiled and said "how nice", then picked up the box and tossed it in the trash. Ahhh memories..…..

Comment

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      A good heaping teaspoon of sugar added to a jar of canned sauce and into the Instant Pot to make the one step spaghetti will change your mind about Ragu. At least it did mine.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheef - I said in my house growing up, not in my current household. My wife is from W. Virginia and she grew up with all the above and below process foods. So my kids have certainly had Ragu. I’m sure she snuck it in on me as well. But I stand firm on HH......it is VERBOTEN in my house.

• TheQuietOne
      TheQuietOne commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like you have a great mom.

This reminds me that growing up we had “salmon patties” that I later learned were made from canned mackerel. That may be where my love for ketchup began.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh those frozen fish sticks. "You can't leave the table until those are finished" Grandmother would sneak us some ketchup to choke them down with.

Comment

First Target now Ragu?? Do you have Prego in Canada? Prego's pasta sauces are my personal favorite of the storebought. My wife makes a kick-butt homemade one though, and we all know proper homemade stuff usually trumps the shelf.

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        We prefer Rau sauce if there is no home made

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Prego is here not first on the list by any means
        Homemade is the way to go

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with richinlbrg . Rao's Arrabiata . A quick go-to.

Kathryn

Rice a roni, HH- Cheeseburger Mac, boxed plain wrap scallop/Au gratan potatoes, stove top and I could go on.

I love all that stuff, likely will never eat it (No such thing as always and never) again but I love all of it.

But please just back up the A-1 truck.

Comment

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm a fan of the Rice-a roni but then I'll modify it.

I'll take their fried rice and then add slivered almonds, celery, soy sauce and sesame oil to it.

I'll modify there pilaf also by adding a sodium free chicken bouillon, diced garlic and parsley to it.

Nobody mentions Kraft boxed mac and cheese? Come on! When I was 18 and living in my first apartment, which I really couldn’t afford, I lived on that stuff It was just 25 cents a box then. That and cheap bologna sandwiches. A full meal for under a dollar. Now that was living!🤣😂

Comment

• Cheef
        Cheef commented
        Editing a comment
        Jfrosty27 for me it was frozen turkey roll. About a 3 pound round loaf of turkey pieces that was frozen like a rock. 2 hours in the oven and eat like a king for 3 days.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        My kids love KD it’s a staple in our house however I won’t eat it
        I’d rather eat something dead on the side of the road

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I figured everyone ate Mac and also Ramen. My parents would make 4 boxes of Mac at a time and it wasnt enough. 7 kids and Two adults plus my dad needed some for his lunch the next day. Everything made was by the bucketload.

My brother, cousins, and myself are all 1st generation Americans, in fact I went to school with no English only Italian and my mother was mortified. Long story short Prego or Ragu is sacrilege in our immediate family lol. If you think of it to make tomato sauce a little oil, garlic and a couple cans of tomatoes, salt/pepper and basil. Freeze the left over in the leftover wonton soup containers or ricotta containers (italian Tupperware) and you are good to go. 44 years old and never had Prego to my knowledge but sad for the people it employs.

Comment

I grew up eating the spaghetti sauce my Mother made. She got the recipe from my paternal grandmother. Sounds great - right? Well, my grandmother was born around 1880 in Mississippi, and to my knowledge, never left the state. And she was not Italian. I made it for an Italian friend once and he said it was good, but not Italian. He was probably just being polite...

I had Ragu - once. I had Prego - once, and tried several other brands too, but I did not think much of any of them. I can now make a decent marinara, but still prefer my homemade even though there was no recipe. I learned to make it by watching my Mom, and she would add ingredients and say "That;s looks about right", wait a bit and taste. Then the second round of additions would begin....
        Last edited by RonB; August 21, 2020, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          That sir is how it is done. Just add some smoked meatballs to finish in the sauce if you need a change up.

To this day I never ate Ragu. I used to doctor up some canned Hunt's Spaghetti Sauce..and some of the others..Never tried Ragu..

A lot of Kraft Mac N Cheese, and HH for sure....Even Chef Boyardee...Oh yes that San Francisco Treat....Can't forget about Velveeta (salty processed cheese food) Go figure...

I think Canada will get over this Ragu thing...There is plenty of other crap to eat.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Chef boyoboy there's another good one.
          Where they get they're sauce from is a mystery.
          I'll eat this one but there'd better be 2-3lbs of saw dust on it
          Saw dust being parmesan cheese

We eat Ragu. I like our homemade sauce. But sometimes after work, when we're being lazy, it's just easier.

Comment

There are much better jarred sauces out there. I get a good quality sauce made with olive oil and no sugar then saute garlic and onions, add sauce and red wine to browned hamburger meat. Simmer for an hour add mushrooms and cook until they are done.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Red wine in any good sauce is a must

• zzdocxx
            zzdocxx commented
            Editing a comment
            Which sauces do you prefer ?

Anything from Trader Joe's acceptable ? They've got several varieties.

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            zzdocxx I don't shop at TJ's but I am sure they have something good. I read the ingredients to be sure there is no sugar and they use Olive Oil not canola or soybean oil. RAO's is good.

Rau gets top marks from the internet food sites.

To me it is a little mild.

I like something a bit darker, as if it has some flavor of tomato paste or sun-dried tomatoes. Mushrooms are great, I learned recently they contribute umami.

Red wine sounds good for giving it a little "darker" flavor, I will have to try it out. Haha just thought of my step-father, he kept a large jug of burgundy on the kitchen counter for cooking when called for. (After serving several years in France and Germany.)
          Last edited by zzdocxx; August 23, 2020, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Frenches needs to come to the rescue like they did when Heinz closed the ketchup plant up here.

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually Presidents Choice make a really good Marinara, its number one on our list

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis