Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crying in the basement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    We have recently moved to a more rural location and I believe power outages will be more frequent. Like others I have alot of food in the freezer. Very close to installing a whole house generator and plan on having it in place before winter. It is a huge investment but it is an insurance policy for sure.

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    replied
    Been there too. Now we have a wifi temp unit with alarms.

Leave a comment:

• troymeister
    replied
    I feel your pain. When I had my country house, the power went out for 3 or 4 days unbeknownst to us. We missed a weekend there and returned the following week to have a freezer full of frozen rotten meat. The smell was pretty bad even though frozen. Much of the meat was from my first deer harvest. It was sad.

Leave a comment:

• tstalafuse
    replied
    Having recently lost a fridge/freezer.. I feel your pain..

Leave a comment:

• pknj
    commented on 's reply
    They get pretty expensive after the storm hits - and can get hard to find. Usually best to get them right after the hurricane season, apparently. I of course paid full price. I usually do!

• randy56
    replied
    Sad news, I'm sure your like most of us there is more than a pay check worth of meat in there. The boy scout in me keep's a genny around, and fire's it up twice a year, also change out the gas, yearly. Shame you were not home to fire it up.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    sounds as if need an Uninterruptibile Power supply with a back up generator--just like hospitals.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Deter
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, hurricane season if you don't already have one before a storm hits you're not getting one after...Thanks to underground lines in our neighborhood we haven't gone more than a day so far...

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    Steve R. - I love your newly coined expression: "disappeared like toilet paper in a pandemic." Well played, sir!

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Steve R. yeah that's one of my worries. If my food thaws before I can get power well I figure I have several cookers I can fill up and several friends who might want a free (or donation) dinner. I'll try that option if circumstances permit I suppose.

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    Here is the thing about laziness. My freezer was pretty bad too, I cleaned it the best I could, but I didn't have time to drag it away. We couldn't smell it with the door closed, so I plugged it back in and my wife started putting bowls of vinegar and boxes of baking soda in it until I could make time to take it to the dump. I never got around to it, and a year later my wife told me the smell was gone!

• Steve R.
    commented on 's reply
    I had the same plan for getting a generator at Home Depot when the time came, then that long outage happened and all of them disappeared like toilet paper in a pandemic before I could get there.

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    We have a whole house one that kicks on automatically as well. We had it installed when we built our home. Just used it last week when the power was off for about 5 hours. Even the TVs are hooked up to it, so husband didn't miss his nightly news programs.

I'm glad to hear that the visit went well, pknj . As a grandparent myself, it's wonderful when the kids come to visit--an 8 hour car trip for them. We miss them so much!

K.
    Last edited by fzxdoc; August 22, 2020, 06:28 AM.

• Huskee
    replied
    Sorry to hear that. I'm waiting for my day, hasn't come yet. I have 2 fridge/freezer thermometers w/ alarm on both my fridge/freezer units....but yeah, gotta be home to hear 'em. I don't have a generator but I figure in the event of a long outage (power's usually only out here 3-6 hrs max) I can run to Home Depot with the credit card and get a generator. I usually have 4-6 briskets on hand. Part of me thinks my plan is still risky, thankfully I haven't had to test it.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    Worst thing I've ever smelled was a deep freeze that had the compressor die a few weeks earlier, and I went to fish something out. And it was in the 90F garage, so it was nice and spoilt. Closest I have ever come to spontaneous hurling. I disposed of the freezer.

I had some friends help with cleanup at some churches in New Orleans after Katrina, and they had to wear respirators to go into those church kitchen walk-ins for the cleanup.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis