Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crying in the basement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crying in the basement

We got home after staying with my parents for a while (only good thing to come out of covid - babysitting is underrated), but the power was out for three days while we were gone. I tired to pretend it would be fine, that our freezer in the basement was magic, but...it was all gone. All that meat! Those ribs! The whole birds! The packer I was going to do for my birthday...I can’t even talk about it.

Some say I am overreacting, but I know you all will understand. I am, rightfully, in mourning and I’ll dress in black if I want to, damn it!

Wait, the butcher is delivering now? He can bring an order tomorrow? Does...does the sun suddenly look brighter?

Been there, got that t shirt
    I hate that t shirt

Comment

I lucked out when I went in the fridge and the beer was tepid. Son turned the temp to 1 thinking it would make it colder. only pitched some sausage in the freezer section door.

Comment

That is rough. Any chance the power company or homeowners insurance can help out?

However your experience has given me another reason, not that I needed one, to never leave my property.
        Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; August 21, 2020, 06:16 AM.

Comment

A homeowner's nightmare--power outage while away and fridges and freezers full of spoiled food. I'm sorry this happened. As someone posted on the Covid topic: "this too shall pass--like a kidney stone it will pass--but it will pass."

On the plus side, did everyone have a nice visit?

Kathryn

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	53F3C68E-1239-4D8F-AAAF-6E93CAC97E98.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	899440 You know, the first thing I bought when we got the house was a gas powered generator, because we were homeless for 5 weeks post hurricane sandy with a one-month old (no power/heat). I’m so smart, right? Well, you have to be home to use the damn thing!

All things considered, it’s not the worst things going around these days, so I can complain but see the funny side - I think the raccoons that got into the garbage can loved the ribs the most.

Yes, fzxdoc, the visit was amazing - kids already want to go back! I miss the views, too.

Comment

• pknj
              pknj commented
              Editing a comment
              I’d love a whole house one (we are on the natural gas mains so easy there) but they run around $12k installed around here. Just too steep for now.

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              The price of one is certainly a hurdle.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              We have a whole house one that kicks on automatically as well. We had it installed when we built our home. Just used it last week when the power was off for about 5 hours. Even the TVs are hooked up to it, so husband didn't miss his nightly news programs.

I'm glad to hear that the visit went well, pknj . As a grandparent myself, it's wonderful when the kids come to visit--an 8 hour car trip for them. We miss them so much!

K.
              Last edited by fzxdoc; August 22, 2020, 06:28 AM.

Sorry for your misfortune. The last time I experienced that was when hurricane Katrina knocked the power out for a lot longer than three days, but we were able to get back home in four days to save the frig and freezer. Those less fortunate taped them up and put the on the curb for disposal.

Comment

From the title, I was expecting to read about a flooded basement. Been there and done that a couple of times (not at the same house).

Comment

• pknj
                pknj commented
                Editing a comment
                That was one of the reasons to get a generator - keep the sump pumps going. Lucky this time on that front.

Had that happen to me awhile back but a different cause - nephew turned the breaker that feds the receptacle off by mistake. Lost a bunch. Nephew is banned from the garage (that is where the sub panel and freezer are located). Real bummer.

Comment

I also had a similar situation not that long ago. Sadly, in my case, the cause was "user error," shall we say. No matter the cause, the result is a major bummer. Condolences on your loss.

Comment

Worst thing I've ever smelled was a deep freeze that had the compressor die a few weeks earlier, and I went to fish something out. And it was in the 90F garage, so it was nice and spoilt. Closest I have ever come to spontaneous hurling. I disposed of the freezer.

I had some friends help with cleanup at some churches in New Orleans after Katrina, and they had to wear respirators to go into those church kitchen walk-ins for the cleanup.

Comment

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Here is the thing about laziness. My freezer was pretty bad too, I cleaned it the best I could, but I didn't have time to drag it away. We couldn't smell it with the door closed, so I plugged it back in and my wife started putting bowls of vinegar and boxes of baking soda in it until I could make time to take it to the dump. I never got around to it, and a year later my wife told me the smell was gone!

Sorry to hear that. I'm waiting for my day, hasn't come yet. I have 2 fridge/freezer thermometers w/ alarm on both my fridge/freezer units....but yeah, gotta be home to hear 'em. I don't have a generator but I figure in the event of a long outage (power's usually only out here 3-6 hrs max) I can run to Home Depot with the credit card and get a generator. I usually have 4-6 briskets on hand. Part of me thinks my plan is still risky, thankfully I haven't had to test it.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Steve R. - I love your newly coined expression: "disappeared like toilet paper in a pandemic." Well played, sir!

• Dan Deter
                    Dan Deter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, hurricane season if you don't already have one before a storm hits you're not getting one after...Thanks to underground lines in our neighborhood we haven't gone more than a day so far...

• pknj
                    pknj commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They get pretty expensive after the storm hits - and can get hard to find. Usually best to get them right after the hurricane season, apparently. I of course paid full price. I usually do!

sounds as if need an Uninterruptibile Power supply with a back up generator--just like hospitals.

Comment

Sad news, I'm sure your like most of us there is more than a pay check worth of meat in there. The boy scout in me keep's a genny around, and fire's it up twice a year, also change out the gas, yearly. Shame you were not home to fire it up.

Comment

Having recently lost a fridge/freezer.. I feel your pain..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      Rubs Promo
                      Meat-Up in Memphis