Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's up with FedEx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's up with FedEx?

FedEx used to set the standard for fast, on time, flawless delivery. Not lately in my experience. I recently had an order from Porter Road take nearly four days to arrive with most of the meat completely thawed and some way over the safe temperature. A close friend just yesterday received his order in just over FIVE days! All the meat was actually warm to the touch he said. Porter Road has been stellar with their support for both of these cases so no criticism of them. I have numerous similar delivery delays with delivery of other non perishable items over the last several months also. Maybe a symptom of the Covid thing? Regardless, I hope the get there s*** together soon!

Various reports on the Covid thing, the three most prominent home delivery options; USPS, FedEx, and UPS have experienced somewhere around a 30% increase in package volume. Similar to your experience (though not with a perishable) I talked to my FedEX driver a couple weeks ago about some of the delay issues and his comment was that they responded to the increase in volume by running the drivers 11 hour shifts instead of the previous 8. Also, at the transfer centers they've hired a mess of new people, and experience a fair bit of turnover with them, so packages don't always get routed/loaded correctly causing further delays. I suspect, wise or not, management is uncertain about how long the pandemic interferences will persist and are trying to avoid expanding their largest overhead line item (labor).

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it's more like 65% with UPS, which is adding on more employees, our small centre alone has added six full time drivers this year. The feeling for the future is post pandemic the volume won't drop off. People who didn't order online are doing so now, and the convenience of doing so will continue on. B&M stores are closing (Penny's in our town) yet keeping an online presence. When I was delivering earlier this year I was going to the same houses everyday with multiple packages.

Like most delivery companies FedEX uses other carriers (airlines) to move packages. Airlines have cut back on flights causing delays and late deliveries.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      Editing a comment
      UPS and FedEx have their own planes. Besides, passenger planes are useless to them, they'll be fighting over cargo services for the extra volume.

The courier I drive for up here in Canada is slowly catching up I think we're 1-3 weeks behind in deliveries right now.
    No one was prepared for the influx of e-commerce/online business that inundated couriers when stores where closed during the height of the plague.
    Companies that shipped 2-4 skids a day were almost over night shipping 10-12 skids.
    I left as many or more skids sitting on customers docs as I loaded some days.
    We can't get trailers to Amazon and e-commerce business's fast enough and they're loaded to the nines.
    Fedex and UPS up here have strict pick up quota's, at least in the GTA, every customer is allowed so many pieces and that's it.
    And there are days where they just say we're not picking up, sorry.

Comment

That all makes sense. What a world we live in these days.....

Comment

Talked with our FedEx ground delivery person this weekend since he showed up on a Sunday. Locally FedEx ground is now running deliveries 7 days a week. The driver said he hasn’t had a day off in 21 days. My understanding from him is that Fedex ground and UPS have suspended meeting their stated delivery periods for packages. I will see how this all affects my Hatch chiles which are scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          Delivery drivers are subject to DOT hours of service rules. 60 hours in 7 days, or 70 hours in 8 days. Unless they take off 34 consecutive hours, then the reset their hours.

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          @CormfortablyNumb Just repeating verbatim what he told me, and also told to me by another FedEx ground driver who came over and bought a motorcycle from me on Tuesday night. Our local FedEx ground is a franchise operation who may be taking a gamble. Who knows.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm on the 70 in 7 cycle, don't need the 70 though, I work my 8.5 a day and I'm gone

Funny thing is it didn't take Covid for the post office to take 30 days to ship a letter to a location 60 miles away.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
          GolfGeezer commented
          Editing a comment
          There's a very old sci-fi story (1975) about earth joining the galactic union by discovering that the further away the mail is destined, the faster it gets there. Next door - 1 month. To the post master of the Galactic Union, instantaneous. "Mail Supremacy" by Hayford Pierce.

Will Y’all Quit talking to the Fed Ex and other drivers, geeeze...I have packages outstanding.

Comment

I had some hot guts ordered from Black's in Texas. After the 3rd order came in last week that temp'd at 70 degrees - the first 2 orders had to be dumped because of the delivery time - I just asked for and received a refund. I am done ordering anything that can spoil for the time being.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I went through not jus one, but twicet, last year (June), pre-CV19, orderin hot guts, finally cancelled my freakin order....

48 packs of Doc's Famous Hot Links, from Gilmer. TX...

All I was wantin was a taste o Down Home, while I'm away...

MInd ya, I can drive, legal speed, there in 10 hrs...

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones Road trip!

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones, I got an invitation to visit Black's in Lockhart that I am going to try and keep.

I haven't ordered meat online, ever, but do order brewing ingredients, and liquid yeast is perishable. In a normal year, I don't bother ordering that during summer months, and have just taken to ordering what I need for the summer brewing plans no later than early May. Any later than that, even with ice and 2 day delivery, its usually cooked from sitting in a hot truck, and the yeast is dead.

Comment

• mnavarre
            mnavarre commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris you might ask some of those local breweries for yeast, most places will probably be glad to give you some since most of it goes down the drain. Also, if you're using something like WLP 001 and WLP 002 Fermentis US-05 and S-04 are pretty much direct replacements. Dry yeast gets an undeserved bad rap, I use Fermentis almost exclusively in the brewery.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            mnavarre - good point. I keep packets of US-05, S-04 and Saflager S-23 on hand in case I get the urge to brew and I don’t have liquid yeast available. For sours like a berliner weisse, I dose the wort with Goodbelly probiotic juice drink and keep it warm for a few days before the boil. It’s easier than buying a culture intended for brewing.

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris I taught a brew class in Pleasant Hill and worked at a park in Walnut Creek. Back in those days I got my supplies at Hop Tech in Pleasanton, which was owned at the time by mgaretz One day while working at the park this guy comes up to me and says he's started a homebrew business out of his parents garage and asks me to hand out catalogues at the class. The catalogue is typed out on 8x11 sheets and stapled together. The business is called Beer, Beer, and More Beer. The rest is history!
            Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; August 20, 2020, 11:12 PM.

My son is a manager at one of the Knoxville warehouses and they have been going at 110% since this past March when a tornado took out one of the larger FedEx warehouses in Nashville. They will probably get back to "normal" just in time for the Holidays.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            For us it's like peak season never ended. I can't imagine what it will be like come November....

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            ComfortablyNumb The holiday season is going to be so crazy for any of the delivery services. More people ordering online plus people won't be traveling so Grandma will have to ship her gifts rather than giving them in person. I did a year and a half at UPS unloading and sorting about 20 years ago and can't imagine how much busier it is now. I would have loved the overtime at that point though.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis