Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing the Church's pit... opinions, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing the Church's pit... opinions, please

I'm in charge of the kitchen at my church, and every Wednesday we do a barbecue dinner. The current pit we have is a makeshift double barrel type grill/smoker that has pretty much seen it's last days. I am looking to replace it and was looking for some advice/opinions. On any given Wednesday we have about 30+ people show up for dinner. Last year before I took over, we only had about 15-20 people show up. I suspect we will get more, and more people showing up as the menu/food gets better. We do do mostly chicken on Wednesday's but, in the summer we do a variety of smoked and grilled meats every other Sunday after service.

I'm looking to replace the MAIN grill for the Wednesday night dinners. I have a $1,500 budget to work with. I was looking at the Webber Ranch Grill.

Your thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

That's a tuffy. I'll pass this on to Max.

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Brian - What do you typically cook for your church? The Weber Ranch is a great grill, but if you do a lot of roasting/smoking, it may not be the best choice.

I will throw this out there even though I have never seen one in person -- check out the Meadow Creek BBQ42. I came across it the other day, and it definitely looks like it could help you cook a lot of chicken and is well within your budget. Please let us know what you ultimately decide!

Comment

• Usernamevalid
      Usernamevalid commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang, I completely missed your post. Apologies, didn't mean to step on toes.

But we seem be singing from the same page.

• Letmebefrank
      Letmebefrank commented
      Editing a comment
      Not at all! That pig cooker is what I was actually looking at when I saw the chicken roaster...pretty sweet pit.

I stumbled across this Meadow Creek Pig Cooker a while back and found it intriguing, seems like a reasonable price. With your budget you can get some add-ons and maybe add more later as funds allow.

I would want the biggest stinkin' cooker I could find for a church. The grate dimensions are 24" x 58", and you can add the second tier 22" x 58". That's a lot of space!

It gives you the option for a hog roast, enough burgers to feed an army, enough room to do indirect heat for low-n-slow.

Other than this I don't know much about them, so please research!

http://www.smokymtbarbecue.com/store...l#.VX2JArl0x_8

Edited to add:

Though I've never cooked on one, I have never seen the advantage of a Weber Ranch Kettle. $1200 or $1300 is a lot of money, and you can get the same cooking space and maybe a bit more versatility with 3 - 22" Kettles. There are so many options for this size kettle, from the Smokenator, Hover Grill, the new Slow-N-Sear, that extender contraption that turns it into a bullet smoker (whatever it's called), the Vortex...Heck, you could buy three 22" kettles and 3-each of the above mentioned accessories for the same price as a Ranch Kettle!
    Last edited by Usernamevalid; June 14, 2015, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• Brian/S
      Brian/S commented
      Editing a comment
      Wil be looking into this one. I agree on the Webber pricing.. I just like and trust Webber

On Wednesday's we do chickin... that's what everyone comes for. I mostly do an abbreviated version of Cornell chicken. For the every other Sunday picnics, we have a few fellows that contribute to the cooking apparatuses... ie a WSM, PBS and few Webbers. The Wednesday night grill is what I'm really looking to replace.

Comment

For that $ I'd go with the Pig Cooker. I looked at the Ranch Kettle when I was looking to rent a grill to do the summer kick of BBQ and it's just too unweildy IMHO. I did the cook last week, for about 60-80 people, on 2 42" barrel style grills, a Chargriller 2828 and a similar style Kingsford grill from Wally world. Not really recommending the specific grills given your budget, just speaking to the STYLE of grill. If I had that $ I'd either buy that cooker they mentioned, or I'd have something built. A permanent brick pit would be nice

Comment

a cinder block pit with an expanded steel grete on a chain or pulley type contraption instead of mortar pour sand and tamp it down good and tight turning a few blocks for air flow a grate propped up with a few blocks for charcoal or wood for air flow throw some aluminum siding on top when you need a cover i.e. indirect cooking brisket, butt,chicken you could cook a lot of food real cheap have a fundraiser raise money than build a permanent pit.

Comment

Building a traditional brick & motar pit would certainly be ideal in this situation however, local ordinance won't allow it. Needs to be portable.

Comment

If you do mostly chicken how about lining up a bunch of PBCs and a webber 26 kettle?

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. The search is over. Someone has anonymously donated a brand new Yoder grill that fits the bill, and then some! Thanks again.

Comment

Comment

Brian/S Very nice piece of equipment! Which Yoder model is it? Someone was very generous! Love seeing that.

Comment

Wichita Custom is the model. We've had it for about a week now. I've done 3 dry runs so far with it. Going to do another one today. Hopefully I'll have it ready tomorrow for the real deal. Yes, someone was VERY generous!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    Rubs Promo
                    Meat-Up in Memphis