Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had a fun trip today - H.U.B. (Helping U BBQ) in Omaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a fun trip today - H.U.B. (Helping U BBQ) in Omaha

I decided that I needed to get the daughter out of the house for a day other than to doctor's appointments before school starts back up. So, I took the day off and we drove a couple hours over to Omaha. She loves drawing and Blick Art Supplies and we have to drive 90 minutes East or 2 hours West to get to one. Since every time I drool online over pits and the closest dealer always seems to be this Helping U BBQ place in Omaha, I thought we'd go West so we both could visit a store we would think was fun.

After taking her to Blick, we headed over to the HUB. I was pretty impressed. I suspected they might sell a little meat so I threw in the styrofoam cooler Creekstone just sent me before heading over. I spent the first 30 minutes or so making a lap around the store looking at all of the cookers I've never been able to see locally in person. I got to see a beautiful Primo, a Pitts & Spits Maverick 850, a Cookshack PG1000, and Original PK and 360. They were all sold out of Blaz'n and Yoder pellet grills, but I did get to see a Yoder charcoal grill. All of these were pretty impressive grills. I was probably most impressed with the Cookshack, that is one impressive looking machine. However, as I suspected, as a primary smoker I'm not sure the zones would have been big enough for my liking. However, as a day to day for a regular size meal cooker for 3-4 I think I'd love it.

The P&S was also very nice. I was asking the owner about it and he likes the Yoders more personally - because of things like included WiFi, the drop pellet feed, lower price, etc. Unfortunately, I couldn't see one to compare side by side. The P&S was well built and very similar to the majority of the pellet grills on the market in terms of overall design, but had some nice standard upgrades and definitely looked built to last much much longer than a Traeger, CampChef, etc.

After my mask was soaked from all the drooling, I made a second lap around the store and picked out a few rubs and sauces to try and a couple bags of wood chunks for the WSCG. I picked up some Blue's Hog, 3 little pigs, Malcom Reed's, and Kosmos things I've never tried. They had all kinds of rubs and sauces from tons of other brands too like Oakridge and many other big competition brands you've probably heard of and I cannot even being to remember all.

I also found his freezer and asked a bit about meat prices. He has a local NE supplier of American Wagyu and has some steaks, briskets, burgers, tri tips, hot dogs, etc. from them. They also have a competition BBQ team and buy their briskets from SRF. He buys extra and picks his competition briskets then sells the rest. I ended up getting a SRF Gold Brisket and a package of the Wagyu Hot Dogs to bring home. Since he culls the briskets, he actually sells what he doesn't deem comp worthy at a pretty decent price. I logged into SRF and priced the same thing direct and was around 30% cheaper. Now, I might have gotten a better one from SRF but just as easily could have gotten the same. I didn't see anything wrong with the one I bought, he just picks the ones with the biggest flats and best shape for what they need for comps that year.

All in all it was a nice store. Probably the widest selection of brands of pits, accessories and seasonings in a store that I've ever visited personally. If you are in the area and have any control over your MCS you should probably stop in and visit them. I did joke with my daughter last night that she would need to help me get the trailer ready to go this morning so we could bring back some new grills, but it was probably good that I was too tired to actually take it along

http://www.helpingubbq.com/
    Last edited by glitchy; August 14, 2020, 06:17 PM. Reason: Added link to their site

That is one place (dedicated BBQ Store) that I've never been. May have to open my own if I luck out enough to go insane one day.

Thanks for the pictures.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      You wouldn’t be able to see them anyway, so I painted a mental image for you.

We used to have a dedicated BBQ store a couple hours away, Fred’s Music and BBQ, but Fred retired a few years back. One of his employees had a deal set up to buy it, but it fell through and they closed down.

But yeah: “Kid, meet candy store!”

Comment

Jealous. But in a way, not. I think that had I been there I would have had MCS kick In WAY too hard and cost me WAY too much. But glad you had a good time.

Comment

We have a BBQ Outfitters about an hour away over in San Antonio. Loads of cookers, gear, and supplies, but I don’t think they sell meat (yet?). Spent a wad there and was very happy with the purchases some time back. Try not to go there very often.

Comment

It’s stories like yers that keeps us goin at times, this is one of em. 👍

Comment

I’m pretty lucky there’s probably half a dozen BBQ supply stores within 15-20 mins of me and another 3-4 within an hour of me. Only one that sells meat for smoking though.
            I know what you mean, I have to stay away from these places or end up in the poor house

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis