Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to buy a palm-sized router. Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to buy a palm-sized router. Recommendations?

I'm open to other suggestions but it seems like these are maybe the most popular. So I was wondering if anyone had any first-hand experience and a recommendation?

DEWALT Router Fixed/Plunge Base Kit, Variable Speed, 1.25-HP Max Torque (DWP611PK)

Click image for larger version

Name:	71hji-UGQxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	894812

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWP611...49&s=hi&sr=1-3

Makita RT0701CX7 1-1/4 HP Compact Router Kit

Click image for larger version  Name:	71Jy%2BirCbeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	10 Size:	154.7 KB ID:	894774
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HAQMHEO...kCode=ogi&th=1

Bosch GKF125CEPK Colt 1.25 HP (Max) Variable-Speed Palm Router Combination Kit
    Click image for larger version  Name:	91nDizxKhnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	9 Size:	350.9 KB ID:	894799
    https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GKF125C...s%2C215&sr=1-3
    Last edited by Attjack; August 11, 2020, 01:52 PM.

Are you sure that Bosch is a palm router? That looks a lot like the one I have, and its definitely not a palm router. Plus I don't know of that many palm routers that are over 2 hp. Here's a Bosch palm router: https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Colt-Va...7174051&sr=8-2

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      You are correct, sir. Thanks. I fixed it!

Those are all quality tools of which I have several. However, I am slowly switching over to high quality cordless tools such as Milwaukee M12 and M18, especially for light to medium duty. They are more than adequate for most applications and much easier to wield than their corded cousins. Just something for your consideration. https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...outers/2723-20

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      All my battery operated tools are the Dewalt 20V tools so that I can use the same batteries and charger.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, it's kind of tough to commit to a different battery once you build your collection up. This means sticking with a cord allows me to just choose the best router. I'll have to give it some thought.
      Last edited by Attjack; August 11, 2020, 02:57 PM.

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Not a router, but speaking of Dewalt 20V, I recently picked up one of these and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! https://www.dewalt.com/products/stor...lator/dcc020ib

Actually, that dewalt is not a palm router, I'm pretty sure. I have the Bosch Colt with the plunge base. I love it. I also have a Ridgid cordless trim router which is excellent. I like not having a cord to get in the way. Although I was already in deep with the Ridgid cordless platform when I bought it, so there's that.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you're right! I had the wrong Bosch at first too. I need to start paying attention.

Back when I bought my routers, Porter Cable was about the best. That tells you how old mine are ;-) I'd probably buy a DEWALT based on that and hope they mixed the best of both brands together (unless reviews told me differently).

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, that is why I have a Porter Cable that came with fixed and plunge bases. It mostly lives in the fixed base, mounted to the router table, and if I need it hand held, I use the plunge base.

No clue what the best routers are these days, as I bought that one about 20 years ago or so, and never looked back.

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris That's my plan for my Bosch, if I ever get the table together....

My DeWalt trim router is an older generation than the one you have shown and I don't like it much. The base and depth adjust mechanisms were not well thought out and they are wobbly and not accurate. They one you show (updated one) is a newer generation and appears to be much better in those regards.

Comment

This video is a nice comparison of their top 5 cordless palm-routers. Milwaukie took the top spot, Ridgid came next, then Makita, DeWalt, and Ryobi.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Sadly, I don't think I'll be going the Millwauki route even though it appears to be about the best cordless option.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I hate to say it, but often the batteries and tools you already have dictate future tool purchases. I would likely end up with the 5th place Ryobi simply due to having about a dozen other Ryobi tools, and a collection of 18V batteries and chargers.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Of course 5th place isn't that bad especially considering the low price. Plenty of other routers didn't make the top 5.

Porter Cable and Dewalt are owned by the same company for years now. I have both brands pre merger so cannot comment on current quality of either. I also have a Bosch that is 15+ years old so same there. Sorry. Not much help.

Comment

UPDATE: Well, my girlfriend got me the DCW600B 20V MAX* XR® BRUSHLESS CORDLESS COMPACT ROUTER as an anniversary gift. Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked about it. I haven't even had a chance to try it out but that will happen soon enough. I also ordered the plunge base for it earlier today.

Name:	DCW600B_2__10202.1587054876.jpg?c=2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	914580

Name:	415zdZa1m%2BL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	914581

Comment

Every single time I see this thread my first thought is internet router.

congrats on the gift

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a few of those too.

Congrats. That's the one on my wish list, but I already have a 40 YO Craftsman and a much newer Porter Cable.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I also have a 40 year craftsman. Now that one can probably just stay in the router table.

• Oakgrovebacon
            Oakgrovebacon commented
            Editing a comment
            I also have the 40 year old Craftsman router - still does what it was designed for.

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            I also have the old +30 years craftsman.

That's a really nice tool. As I might have said earlier in this thread, I have 3 palm routers. I have the plungr base for my Bosch Colt. My cordless is a Ridgid since I'm already on that battery platform. You will love it.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	router.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.7 KB ID:	914680

Oh..that router...

Comment

• DavidNorcross
              DavidNorcross commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha. When I saw the subject of this thread that is exactly what came to mind..

Very nice. I have all Rigid tools. No router but it is hard to beat Dewalt

Comment

These palm routers all freak me out. Be absolutely certain that wherever you buy one, there's a guide in stock that fits the router, or it comes with one. Lots of the guides have to be hacked a bit to actually fit. I've taken top shelf name-brand routers back because their own guides didn't fit right. I ended up getting a generic pair of guides and had to cut a 'key' into the outer rim to fit them into the router - no big deal, actually. I'm just saying be cautious and know what you're getting into.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis